Briefly Noted

Big Green Soccer standout Craig Henderson '09 was named to New Zealand's 17-man roster for a World Cup warm up match against Mexico on March 3 in Los Angeles, according to IvyLeagueSports.com. This is Henderson's first call-up to New Zealand's highest squad, after representing New Zealand in the U-20 World Cup and the 2008 Beijing Olympics. With the 2010 World Cup approaching in June, a strong performance in Mexico could help Henderson secure a spot on New Zealand's World Cup roster. Henderson finished his standout Dartmouth career last fall, earning All-America and All-Ivy League honors during his tenure as the team's co-captain.

The Cornell University men's basketball team, ranked No. 22 in the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll, was upset 79-64 by the University of Pennsylvania on Friday, according to the Associated Press. Cornell was the first Ivy League school to be ranked in the top 25 in the nation since Princeton University earned the recognition in 1997-1998, IvyLeagueSports.com reported. The loss broke the team's eight-game win streak, and was the first loss since falling to No. 1 Kansas on Jan. 6. Cornell rebounded from the loss, however, with a narrow defeat of Princeton on Saturday, 48-45.

The NCAA is overseeing two separate proposals made by the Football Rules Committee, according to Rivals.com. One proposal would address taunting by players and another would make it difficult for players with concussions to play with their injury. The taunting rule would require that taunting penalties acquired on a touchdown play be assessed from the spot of the foul taking away the touchdown. Taunting penalties occurred in the end zone would be assessed on the extra-point attempt. The second proposed rule would require that any players with concussion be cleared by a doctor before returning to competition. Both proposals must be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel before they are approved.