Swimming suffers winless weekend despite top diving finish

01.26.10.sports.swimming
01.26.10.sports.swimming

Against Yale (6-1, 4-0 Ivy) and Penn (3-4, 3-4 Ivy), Serpico maintained her winning streak in women's diving by taking first in the one-meter and three-meter events with scores of 249.35 and 278.15, respectively.

Co-captain Catherine Armstrong '10, one of the most consistent distance swimmers for Dartmouth (0-9, 0-6 Ivy), posted her best performance of the season in the 1000-yard free with a time of 11:06.85 taking tenth. "Going into it, we knew that Yale and Penn were two of the best teams in the league," co-captain Carolyn Rippe '10 said. "Considering that, overall we swam pretty well."

The men's team (1-8, 0-6 Ivy) was unable to secure any individual wins against either the Bulldogs (3-4, 1-3 Ivy) or the Quakers (5-3, 5-3 Ivy), but still showed off several standout performers. Onejune Chang '13 posted a season-best in the 200-yard free style, finishing in third place with a time of 1:43.80. Mickey Ahern '12 had a solid showing, taking fifth in both the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke events with times of 53.40 and 1:57.05, respectively.

Co-captain Cary Stathopoulos '10 called the men's showing a "strong performance" based on individual swims, but also added that he hoped the final score would be closer.

The following day at the Princeton meet, the Big Green celebrated the careers of seniors Armstrong, Kathleen Brady '10, Kelly O'Callaghan '10, Rippe, Stathopoulos and Scott Sorensen '10 at one of their last home meets of the season, but neither team was able to pull off a victory against the Tigers.

"We knew that [the Penn/Yale meet] was going to be a real challenge mentally," Armstrong said. "We were really just excited for it."

On the women's side, Serpico once again established herself as the top diver in the league, earning the top spot in the one-meter dive with a score of 255.06 and the three-meter dive with 281.93 points.

"It has been amazing to watch [Serpico] both last year and this year to see what she can do on the diving boards," Rippe said. "We're really excited to see what she's going to do at the end of the season."

Charlotte Williams '13 posted an exceptional performance against the Tigers (3-0, 3-0 Ivy), winning the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:27.54 and placing second in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:39.48. Maddie Steiner '11 also contributed a victory, taking the 200-yard individual medley in 2:14.11, while Nicholson earned a season-best and a win finishing the 100-yard butterfly in 58.55.

The men, while posting a disappointing loss to Princeton (3-0, 3-0 Ivy), took the top three spots in the 200-yard butterfly for the first time this season, with Albert Roth '13 taking the top spot in 1:55.94. Chang and Jonathan Panzl '11 followed close behind, finishing in second and third, respectively.

The men had never swept the top three spots in any event against Princeton, Stathopoulos said.

In addition, Ahern had one of his best performances of the season, taking first in both the 100-yard backstroke in 51.90 and the 200-yard backstroke with a season-best time of 1:54.40.

Next week, both teams will take on the University of Maine and Boston College in Orono, Maine for a grueling two-day meet.

"[Maine and BC] are both very good," men's head coach Jim Wilson said. "We're looking forward to swimming against both teams and we should do well."