Soccer teams, individuals receive academic recognition

01.05.10.sports.Soccer
01.05.10.sports.Soccer

The men's squad average grade point average, 3.46, was second out of the 145 schools recognized falling behind the 3.47 earned by the Amherst College team. The Big Green received the award for the fourth straight year and the fifth time in the program's history.

The women's program has won the team award seven times in the last eight years. The average grade point average of the team was 3.38, making the Dartmouth women's squad one of 336 women's teams in the NCAA meeting the qualifications for the award.

The awards are given to teams from all three athletic divisions with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher, based on grades achieved during the 2008-2009 academic year.

Several players from both teams were also honored for their individual success in the classroom. Co-captain Craig Henderson '09 and Bryan Giudicelli '11 were named to the first and third NSCAA Scholar All-East teams, respectively. Henderson was also chosen for the NSCAA Academic All-America second team for the second straight year. These awards are based on both academic strength and significant athletic contributions.

For his performance on the field, Henderson received interest from Major League Soccer and recently signed a contract with the Swedish club Mjllby AIF.

Henderson said that the awards are more important for the team than the individuals.

"It is a testament to the dedication of the team that often goes unnoticed," he said. "We don't think about it at the beginning of the season it just comes with what we do as a team."

Men's head coach Jeff Cook said while the team does not set a specific academic goal, strong performance in the classroom is ingrained in the team.

"We work on it over time, stressing academics and building a culture throughout the team," he said.

Cook also added that he believes the award separates the Big Green from other collegiate teams around the country.

"It shows we are able to succeed in the pursuit of excellence in the classroom and on the field," he said.

From the women's team, all three captains received individual accolades. Myra Sack '10 and Kelsey Quick '10 were named NSCAA Scholar All-East athletes, while Becky Poskin '09 was given an honorable mention for the same award.

For their successes on the field, Sack and Quick were also named to the first team All-Ivy. Poskin was awarded honorable mention All-Ivy.

"The team award means a lot for the program," Sack said. "It means that we are more than just an athletic program."

Sack added that a stress on academics is expected of players and part of an unspoken team philosophy.

"We encourage our athletes to pursue something they want to do, not to strive simply for grades," Cook said. "It is a testament to that when the GPA comes out well."