Men's basketball grabs close game

01.21.10.sports.mbasketball
01.21.10.sports.mbasketball

Having just knifed through the paint to tie the game at 64-64, Rufful's successful free throw clinched the game. After the Terrier's (7-10, 4-2 Northeast) inbounds pass was deflected by R.J. Griffin '13, Dartmouth (4-11, 0-1 Ivy) walked off the court with a dramatic 65-64 come-from-behind victory.

"That's the most pressure I've ever felt in my life," Rufful said.

Rufful contributed 16 points on the night and shot 5-8 from the field and 5-6 from the line. He also closed out the first half with a buzzer-beating three-pointer from 25 feet.

Captain Robby Pride '10 led the Big Green with a career-high 21 points, becoming the first Dartmouth player to score over 20 points in a game this season. He was a perfect 3-3 on three pointers and 6-6 on free throws.

"Best game of my career," Pride said. "It was the most fun for sure."

Interim head coach Mark Graupe earned the win in his first game at the helm of the Dartmouth squad. Following the resignation of former head coach Terry Dunn, Graupe and the two other assistants, Michael Brown and Tim Lane, served as co-coaches before Graupe was named the interim head coach on Thursday.

The game also marked the beginning of interim assistant coach Paul Donohue's second stint on the Dartmouth coaching staff. Donohue previously served as a Big Green assistant from 1985-1992.

Though Dartmouth jumped out early, leading by as much as 14 points in the first quarter, the team lost most of its big lead. After entering halftime down 36-27, St. Francis came storming back behind the play of junior guard Ricky Cadell.

Cadell, who entered the game as the Terriers' leading scorer at 15.6 points per game, shot only 2-10 in the first half. The second half was a different story, as he went 6-7 from the field and a perfect 3-3 from the line. He was the game's highest scorer, posting 23 points.

"He busted out in the second half," Pride said. "He's a very good player."

St. Francis appeared to be in control with 32 seconds left to play after Kayode Ayeni hit two foul shots to give the Terriers a 61-57 lead. Pride was then fouled on the ensuing possession and sunk both free throws to cut the deficit to two.

With 18 seconds remaining, St. Francis inbounded the ball and Stefan Perunicic converted a layup to put the Terriers up, 63-59, while leaving enough time for a Dartmouth comeback.

On the ensuing possession, Pride pump-faked his defender and fired a long three pointer that trimmed the Terrier lead to one with eight seconds to play.

After St. Francis inbounded, Pride immediately fouled out and sent Ayeni to the line, where he made one of two to give the Terriers a 64-62 lead, still with eight seconds left.

Rufful found a lane in the paint and drove hard to the basket, sinking the layup and getting fouled with 0.9 seconds remaining. Rufful proceeded to drain the foul shot and ice the game for Dartmouth.

The Big Green tied the Terriers in rebounds, posting 25 each. Dartmouth has gone just 1-10 this season when it has been out-rebounded.

Dartmouth also scored well above its season average of 54.7 points per game. Entering the game, the Big Green had ranked second-to-last in the country in scoring.

Monday marked the first time that Dartmouth had won a game all season without holding its opponent to under 60 points.

Graupe said that Dartmouth still has plenty to work on both offensively and defensively, but that the team has a new outlook as it returns to Ivy play.

"There's been some drama, but we keep looking ahead, marching forward, and being positive," Graupe said.

He added that he is happy for his players and said he had encouraged them to savor their day off on Tuesday.

"Just walk around campus with the biggest grin on your face, because you guys deserve it," Graupe said.

Beginning with Dartmouth's upcoming rematch against Harvard, all of the Big Green's remaining contests will be against the Ancient Eight. Dartmouth will seek to avenge its Jan. 9 loss to the Crimson when the teams meet again in Leede Arena at 7 p.m. on Saturday.