Dartmouth by the Numbers

Ever notice that exactly 52 percent of dorm rooms at Dartmouth are singles? Or that the campus is made of 265 acres? Yeah, neither did I. But those are some of the "Quick Facts" the Admissions Office uses to describe the College to all those impressionable prospies. So to interject a little dose of reality into our image of Dartmouth, here are some precise and not-so-precise numbers that better reflect our life here in Hanover. Let's start with the basics.

We eat 1800 Pavilion cookies a day, though as we know from Admissions that there are only 4,100 undergraduates. No word yet on how New Year's resolutions are affecting our cookie consumption.

But at least the admissions office is right about our close-knit community. We clearly have a lot to say to each other, considering that on average 675,000 blitzes are processed every day.

We can probably type that pretty fast too, considering that we drink approximately 250-275 gallons of coffee a week at Novack. And just think how much that number increases during finals week when everyone gets too lazy to leave the building.

And it turns out that we do more than drink coffee in the library. This past Fall term alone, Dartmouth students checked out 42,693 items at the all of the libraries' circulation desks.

By the way, to all those believers in the x-factor, according to a study for a GOV 10 course, sophomore males have the greatest mean number of random hook-ups in an academic year, with 3.42. Though female seniors still do have the least exciting love lives, with 1.22. Whatever happened to the cougar trend? In order from the lowest to highest the other groups rank: female sophomores, female juniors, male freshmen, male juniors, female freshmen, male seniors.

Some facts are just obvious. The most popular entree at FoCo is General Tso's Chicken, while people line up for salad-as-a-pizza night at Homeplate. Altogether DDS uses 35,670 lbs of Chicken Breasts per year. Any idea on how many breastless chickens that equals? (Like 71,340)

Now finding a drunk person in your bed isn't the only reason to lock your door. There were 21 burglaries reported to S&S in 2008, 76% of which occurred in unlocked rooms. I guess I should pick up my room-key this term.

You do have to remember to bring that key with you though. In the nine months between January and November 2009, 2,229 people called S&S to be let into their college-owned room. I guess we just can't win.

But don't too worry too much about your safety, at least there was only one arson on campus that year.