Daily Debriefing

The number of applications to Yale decreased slightly this year, in contrast with the trend of increased applications at other Ivy League schools, according to the Yale Daily News. Jeff Brenzel, the Dean of Undergraduate Admissions, said that he could not explain why Yale differed from the general trend, but said he believes that Yale will continue to attract students of the same caliber as past years and that the decrease in applications this year may well be the result of random fluctuations. College counselors proposed reasons such as students' hesitancy to apply because of Yale's low acceptance rate and the impact of the recent murder of Annie Le and the death of Andre Narcisse, who were both students at Yale. Yale has also seen a small decrease in the number of early action applicants, but greater numbers of male, low-income and minority applicants, according to the Yale Daily News. The University is planning to maintain the 7.5 percent admission rate employed last year, the Yale Daily News reported.

The Irish Government has decided to dissolve the National University of Ireland, The Irish Times reported. The Irish government made the decision based on a report that claimed the action would save more than 3 million euros, although NUI claimed that the savings would be just over 1 million euros. The current chancellor of NUI, Maurice Manning, said in a confidential e-mail to NUI Senate members that he believed a change of government might reverse the decision.