Short Answer

While I sympathize with the Verbum Ultimum's general point that students should have accurate representation, I think it is important that Greeks and non-Greeks have equal representation, even though that would not reflect the campus at large. Giving Greek houses that have committed infractions the majority power to discipline other Greek houses that have committed infractions doesn't make a whole lot of sense. OAC needs disinterested third parties. Peter Blair '12

The composition of the OAC board should not be put into the hands of those who have continually failed to represent the student body. The only fair way to select these members is through popular election. Why should Dean Spears determine who we want to govern and monitor our organizations?

Kevin Niparko '12

The ideal makeup of the OAC board would include two-thirds Greek affiliated members, half women and half men. But, I wonder, would this selection process based on a quota system create a responsible and effective board, or one in which members fail to be impartial towards their own organization? The members of the OAC board should be chosen based on a merit system that takes into account the candidate's responsibility, commitment and experiences.Jasper Hicks '12

As long as the many infractions and punishments that comprise the OAC's existence are related to the Greek system, a true "jury of one's peers" would call for Greeks to provide a substantial voice on the student board. A healthy balance between Greeks and other students familiar with the Greek system (even from an unaffiliated perspective) will ensure fairness and a good shot at justice.

Isaiah Berg '11

As the OAC student board is intended to represent the entire campus, the members should be selected democratically. In this way, the board will truly reflect the judgment of the student body, rather than have either a strong vested interest in defending Greek houses or excess indifference toward them.

Julian Sarkar '13

I don't think that the board should be at all concerned with exactly representing the composition of the student body, because it is impossible to correctly capture the array of attitudes here on campus. As with any body like this, there is a natural selection bias at work namely, the only students likely to bear the time cost of participating on the board are those with strong opinions either way about what should or should not be tolerated. Because of this, any board will be inherently unrepresentative.Raza Rasheed '12

One of the problems with student-comprised adjudication committees is the potential for them to be comprised of mainly students who do not have personal familiarity with the issues being adjudicated. The Assembly and Spears should take care to reflect the constituency of the OAC student board; if not, the process of reorganization will be a sham, disregarding the issues for which the OAC decided to reform itself.Jacob Batchelor '12

The new student board doesn't need to reflect, proportionally, the number of students who are affiliated. The Greek organizations get enough attention as it is. Rather, it's the underrepresented groups (independents, non-drinkers, etc) that need the strongest voice.Ben Gonin '12