Kim announces administrative consolidation

11.05.09.news.kadish
11.05.09.news.kadish
Steve Kadish

Kadish, who followed Kim to Dartmouth from Harvard, has played an increasingly significant role at the College since he assumed his current position just five months ago. Kim said in the e-mail that chief human resources officer Traci Nordberg, associate vice president for fiscal affairs Julie Dolan and director of operations management Lisa Celone will all now report to Kadish, in addition to the Investment Office.

Dolan sits on The Dartmouth's Board of Proprietors.

Keller, who has served as executive vice president since 2003, will assume the role of senior advisor to the president and provost. In this position, Keller will support the expansion of The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice and will also assist with "selected" strategic initiatives, according to the e-mail.

Keller received a master's degree in public health from the University of Minnesota in 1981 and worked at Dartmouth Medical School before joining the College's administration in Parkhurst Hall.

Keller was not a signatory on an e-mail sent yesterday to the Dartmouth community by Kadish and Dean of the College and acting Provost Carol Folt outlining the coming budget planning process. Keller, together with former Provost Barry Scherr, oversaw the first round of cuts last winter and had been responsible for many of the communications to the Dartmouth community.

Kim also outlined further changes to the current administrative structure in the e-mail. Vice president for campus planning and facilities Linda Snyder Kadish's wife will now oversee campus planning, real estate, facilities, environmental health and safety, and sustainability. In her new role, Snyder will report to both Kim and Folt.

The e-mail additionally announced that Marcia Kelly has been appointed secretary to the Board of Trustees. Kelly first assumed this responsibility in an interim capacity when former Board secretary Cheryl Reynolds retired in June.

This is a breaking news web update. More information will be added as it becomes available.

College President Jim Yong Kim's e-mail to students:

November 19, 2009

I wish to inform you of a number of changes within the Administration.

Adam Keller, who has served with distinction as Executive Vice President of Finance & Administration (EVP) since 2003, will step down as EVP on December 1.

Adam's focus will change as he takes on a new role, as Senior Advisor to the President and Provost. Adam will provide support for the further development of The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice (TDI), while also helping us with selected strategic initiatives.

Since moving to the central administration of the College from Dartmouth Medical School in 2003, Adam has done a terrific job helping Dartmouth advance its priorities. He reorganized administrative functions and put in place strong leadership in many areas. The entire campus has benefitted from Adam's broad perspective, strategic thinking and commitment to the welfare of the College and the people who work here. I want to personally thank Adam for the dedication, intelligence and hard work that he has brought to all that he does and for his continued assistance.

As part of our effort to streamline our administration, we will not be replacing the EVP position. Instead, Steve Kadish, who now serves as the Senior Vice President, will take on additional responsibilities. Traci Nordberg, Chief Human Resources Officer; Julie Dolan, Associate Vice President for Fiscal Affairs; Lisa Celone, Director of Operations Management; and the Investment Office will report to Steve.

With the number of key campus planning and facility related issues before us and to achieve administrative efficiencies in key physical resources functions across Dartmouth, we are consolidating campus planning, real estate, facilities, environmental health and safety, and sustainability under Linda Snyder, Vice President for Campus Planning and Facilities, who will report to me with a dual report to the Provost. Linda's new direct reports will include Paul Olsen, Director of the Real Estate Office, Michael Blayney, Director of Environmental Health and Safety, and Kathleen Lambert '90, Sustainability Manager.

I am pleased to announce, along with Dartmouth's Board of Trustees, that Marcia Kelly has been officially named Secretary to the Board. Marcia has done the job in an interim capacity since the retirement of Cheryl Reynolds in June. A veteran of the Dean of the College area who has played several key roles, Marcia has quickly gained the respect and confidence of our Trustees in this important position.

During the months ahead, we will be continually looking for ways to improve our administrative operations.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Jim Yong KimPresident