Field hockey defeats Harvard 5-3, Hood '12 breaks record

The Dartmouth field hockey team extended its winning streak to three with a 5-3 win over Harvard (5-10, 2-4 Ivy) Saturday, a game that saw Kelly Hood '12 break the College record for most points in a season.

Captain Virginia Peisch '11 said she was satisfied with the team's play, but noted that the Big Green (9-7, 4-2 Ivy) did not play as well as it had against the University of Massachusetts.

"We weren't as consistent," Peisch said.

Head coach Amy Fowler noted, however, that a win is a win.

"We did what we needed to do," she said.

The Big Green offense had a strong showing against the Crimson, with five different players scoring goals.

Fowler said that the offense carried over its domination of the midfield from last Wednesday's game against Massachusetts.

"We had a balanced attack and continued scoring from the field," Fowler said.

The first half saw multiple goals from both teams. Dartmouth opened the scoring just over two minutes into the game when Peisch sent a cross-field pass to Meghan Everett '12, who capitalized on the opportunity.

Just 10 minutes later, Hood combined with Peisch and Kelly McHenry '11 on a penalty corner to score not only her team's second unanswered goal against Harvard, but also her 17th goal of the season.

With the goal, Kelly Hood '12 broke the Dartmouth record for points in a season with 42. The record was previously held by Kim Jenkin '02 and Lauren Scopaz '00, both of whom had 41.

If Hood can score an 18th goal in Dartmouth's final game of the season against Cornell on Saturday, she will tie Jenkin's record for most goals in a year.

Fowler said that although Hood has worked hard to earn her points and goals, she is a team player who acknowledges that her statistics are secondary to the team as a whole.

"The likelihood that she will at least tie or break the goals per season record is definitely there, but that's not what she's after," Fowler said.

Harvard's Emma Keller finally put her team on the board with 17 minutes left in the half.

Although Dartmouth netminder Jenna Stearns '13 blocked Keller's initial shot, Keller went after the rebound and found the back of the net.

Stearns totaled four saves in her third-straight win in net. Harvard keeper Cynthia Tassapoulos had eight saves of her own.

Maya Herm '13 increased Dartmouth's one-goal lead with an unassisted goal, her first on the team, that made the score 3-1. Three minutes later, Herm assisted Samantha McPherson '13 for the Big Green's fourth goal, McPherson's fifth of the season.

Before the close of the first half, Carly Dickson of Harvard combined with Kristin Bannon to reduce the Crimson's three-goal deficit to two, opening up the possibility of a Crimson comeback in the second half.

Harvard appeared to carry the momentum of that goal through halftime, as the Crimson quickly scored the team's third goal.

Rebecca Sobel '11, however, halted the Crimson momentum and hopes of tying the game when she scored a fifth goal for Dartmouth, setting the final score at 5-3.

Harvard earned 10 penalty corners while Dartmouth earned eight, but the Crimson could only capitalize on one. Dartmouth outshot Harvard 18-15.

The Big Green will play its Senior Day match at home on Saturday at 12 p.m. against Cornell.