Daily Debriefing

New Hampshire has received only 85,000 of the 700,000 H1N1 vaccine doses state officials say the state needs, WMUR New Hampshire reported on Tuesday. The state Department of Health and Human Services, which serves as a mediator between local health providers and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, works to distribute vaccines proportionately according to regional populations. Local hospital officials say they have received thousands fewer doses than they ordered, though several officials also said they hope to obtain additional vaccines this week, according to WMUR. Distributors delivered more than 3,000 doses to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, but the hospital has requested 1,500 additional vaccines by the end of the week. Although health care providers must inform the state of the age of those vaccinated, state officials said they cannot follow every stage of distribution to ensure absolute fairness, WMUR reported.

Colleges and universities, among other institutions, may have overrepresented the number of jobs saved or created by the federal stimulus package, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday. The Journal estimated that the 640,000 figure released by the Obama administration on Friday may be exaggerated by at least 20,000 jobs. Republicans had already disputed the released figure, questioning the administration's ability to count jobs "saved." Many stimulus recipients did not fully understand the federal forms, The Journal reported. Some colleges and universities, like Stetson University in DeLand, Fla., reported part-time work-study jobs supported by federal stimulus money as full-time jobs, The Journal reported. Stetson University also overcounted students who held multiple work-study jobs. While the school initially reported 483 jobs saved through stimulus money, university spokeswoman Cindi Brownfield said that the figure should be between 18 and 30 when rendered as equivalent to full-time jobs.

UWIRE, a web site that collected and presented articles from student newspapers nationwide, unexpectedly shut down on Oct. 4, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Tuesday. Many college newspapers relied on the site to disseminate news between universities and share their articles with the general public. Student editors, responsible for finding site content in college newspapers, received e-mail notifications on Oct. 4 that the site was "temporarily suspended." The editors have yet to receive payment for their September work, according to The Chronicle. Although UWIRE's managers have not released an explanation for the site's suspension, some student editors suspect fiscal issues, The Chronicle reported. UWIRE was once owned by CBS, but was sold to Palestra.net, a college news service, in March. Palestra.net's chief executive Joe Weasel said at that time that the web site would not change significantly under the new management.