Avner '80 rises to alumni leadership

Watching the freshmen run around the bonfire at Dartmouth Night this year, Janine Avner '80, now four months into her tenure as Alumni Council president, said she was reminded of her own experiences in 1976 as a new student at the College a period that she describes as "a different time at Dartmouth," given the relatively small number of women and minority students.

"It was a different time at Dartmouth when I was there, but by and large it was just the absolute best experience for me," Avner said. "[It provided] a great foundation for everything I did after."

Growing up in Alaska, Avner came to Dartmouth in 1976 as part of one of the first classes of women at the College. Avner said she welcomed the relative warmth of New Hampshire upon arriving in Hanover for her Dartmouth Outing Club trip.

Avner said she believes she is the first Native American Alumni Council president.

"I had never been back East before, had never seen the College before," Avner said. "It was all new to me, but wonderful at the same time. I enjoyed my first days here and the initial impressions were just wonderful."

Avner developed a close relationship with then-College President John Kemeny during her time at the College through her membership in the Green Key Society as well as in the Native Americans at Dartmouth program, she said.

"Knowing President Kemeny at that time and just talking with him and getting to know him was great because he truly was an inspiration and a brilliant man," Avner said. "He was a visionary. Now I am seeing the same thing with President Kim."

Avner recalled one experience when she was chosen to lead Kemeny to his surprise birthday party.

"I had to calm him down and assure him everything was okay that it was going to be fun," Avner recalled. "It was interesting to see another side of him. He was the greatest."

Avner majored in German studies and was an active member of student government and the German club. She also was a member of the freshman crew and varsity cross country teams, as well as Cobra senior society.

"Janine was the prettiest girl on campus," Stuart Sarnoff '80, one of Avner's friends, said. "Every guy on campus wanted to go out with Janine. I had the pleasure of doing so my sophomore year She was really athletic, sort of naive, really accomplished, really beautiful. She was a total altruist, total goody two shoes wanted to make the world a better place."

Sarnoff said Avner was fascinated by her experiences in China Town and on the Staten Island ferry when the two travelled to New York City together as students.

Sarnoff added that he is not surprised by Avner's activism as an alumna because she was so involved on campus during her four years as a student.

"She was like Miss Dartmouth,'" Sarnoff said. "She was really connected, always a member of this committee or this group. It doesn't surprise me at all that she would be very involved at this stage of her career it is a natural progression."

Avner started down the road to becoming Alumni Council president when she became involved with the Dartmouth Club of Los Angeles about 10 years ago.

In addition to serving as a liaison between alumni and administrators, Avner is also involved in nominating candidates for the Board of Trustees as a member of the Council's Nominating and Alumni Trustee Search Committee.

Former Alumni Council President John Daukas Jr. '84 Avner's predecessor said he worked closely with Avner during his time as Council president.

"Janine is very thoughtful, very enthusiastic and energetic," Daukas said. "She is a very upbeat person, which is great to have [on the Alumni Council]."

Daukas cited Avner's personality and general enthusiasm for the College as two of her significant strengths.

"She's very open-minded and very willing to hear all views, which I think is an important thing to have in someone who is Alumni Council president," Daukas said. "She wants to make sure all viewpoints are included."

Dartmouth Alumni Council President-elect Thomas Peisch '70 who will serve as Avner's successor beginning next summer said Avner's love for Dartmouth is evident in all of her work with the alumni community.

"She leads by a quiet example, and I hope I'm half as good as she is," Peisch said.

Avner currently works as an attorney in Los Angeles with her husband.