College to combat Pine Park erosion

Pine Park, a 96-acre parcel of land northwest of campus used by the cross country running and skiing teams, has faced significant problems associated with erosion over the past decade. As conditions have continued to worsen, the College has decided to collaborate with the Town of Hanover to find a solution to the increasingly expensive problem, according to Frank Roberts, director of operations for Facilities, Operations and Management.

Repairs to a bridge in the park last fall made necessary when the structure's foundation became unstable cost $100,000, Roberts said.

Hanover and Dartmouth are currently waiting for a report, prepared by the consulting firm New England Environmental Inc., that will recommend potential solutions for the park.

"Once we have a better idea on what actions must be taken specifically, we plan on taking steps immediately," Pine Park Association President Brian Kunz said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

In the meantime, the Pine Park Association has identified 10 "hot spots," portions of the trail that need immediate attention, Kunz said.

The repairs needed to restore Pine Park are beyond what would be considered "small-hand fixes," according to Mickey Marcus, a consultant with New England Environmental.

"What was once a project that I thought was feasible for the Town of Hanover alone may need several contractors," Marcus said.

Despite the potential high cost of repair, Dartmouth government professor Linda Fowler, a supporter of the park, said the renovations remain justified.

"I believe it's important for a college to have a place of solitude, where students can come to relax, to think," Fowler said.

Several sports teams that compete at the park have raised concerns about its safety, Kunz said. The Dartmouth Invitational, usually the first meet of the season for the cross country running team, is held at Pine Park.

The deterioration of the trails has made it difficult for runners to pass competitors during races because erosion has caused the path to narrow and embankments to steepen, Fowler said.

The renovation of Dartmouth's golf course and the development of Hanover itself may also have contributed to an increase in the amount of runoff to Girl Brook, which winds through the park, Fowler said. This extra runoff caused further erosion to the hiking trails that follow the brook.

"The soil is also susceptible to erosion," Roberts said. "The streambed is shifting, and as a result, the trail in certain areas is becoming compromised by it."

Fowler suggested that severe rainstorms in the past few years may have also contributed to the erosion.

"We've had two, 100-year storms in the past four years," Fowler said.