Briefly Noted

Former Dartmouth sailing team members Sarah Johnston '09 and Anne Megargel '09 were named to the 2009 Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association's All-Academic second team on Wednesday, DartmouthSports.com reported. The honor is given to student-athletes who were nominated by their schools for their academic and athletic performance during the 2008-09 academic year. The ICSA All-Academic team recognizes 10 first team and 10 second team student-athletes who are in their junior year of college or above, have maintained a GPA of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 and are key members of their school's sailing team, according to an ICSA release. Johnston and Megargel were both members of the Dartmouth team that finished eighth at the ICSA National Championship Regatta last season.

University of Connecticut football player Jasper Howard was stabbed to death outside a university-sponsored dance early Sunday morning, the Associated Press reported. The cornerback and a second person, whose identity was not immediately released, were stabbed during a fight outside of the UConn Student Union, police told the AP. The dance took place just hours after UConn's homecoming weekend win over Louisville. Major Ronald Blicher of the University of Connecticut Police said that two groups were involved in the fight, and that the police have leads but have not identified a suspect in the killing, according to the AP. UConn head coach Randy Edsall, who had to identify the body for police, said that Howard was soon going to be a father. The team plans to play next weekend against West Virginia, according to the AP.