Kim to focus on Greek system's public image

College President Jim Yong Kim said in an interview with The Dartmouth this week that he will focus on improving the public perception of the College's Greek system, noting that the disparity between prospective students' perception of the College's Greek system and Dartmouth students' own experience is evidence of a "public relations problem" at the College.

Kim said he hopes to improve the image of the Greek system among prospective students and the general public through his role as "chief advocacy officer."

"I think it's very important to let the rest of the world know what an important experience the Greek system provides to more than half of our students," he said.

With the departure of former Dean of the College Tom Crady just over a month ago, Dartmouth lost the administrator many students saw as the principal liaison between Parkhurst and the campus' Greek scene. The task of administering the Greek system at the administrative level will now fall to Acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears, who garnered initial criticism from some students for her perceived lack of understanding of the Greek system.

Still, Kim said that improving the understanding and perception of the system, rather than administering it, will remain his focus in the coming months.

"I don't think the fact that Tom Crady has resigned will change what I do at all," Kim said. "I have great faith that [Spears] will do a fine job."

Many of Dartmouth's prospective applicants are wary of a school with prominent Greek life, Kim said, citing a study conducted by the College's Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.

The Greek system was a negative factor for 60 percent of accepted applicants who declined the offer of admission to Dartmouth.

Kim said he believes the public does not understand the distinct aspects of Greek life at Dartmouth.

"The very definition of a Greek system elsewhere is that you can control who comes to your parties, that you can control who you socialize with," Kim said. "Whereas here, the parties are open to everyone. I think there is an openness in the [Dartmouth] Greek system that's very striking."

Greek organizations' emphasis on openness, rather than exclusion, helps promote strong friendships among their members, Kim said.

"The reason that 60 percent of sophomores pledge is that this is the kind of system that provides the ideal grouping of people together so that they become very close and lifelong friends," he said.

Kim said he was concerned that only 1 percent of accepted students cited the Greek system as a positive factor in the study, although more than half of students choose to join a Greek organization after being exposed to Greek life at the College.

"[This disparity] means we have a public relations problem," Kim said. "And we're going to fix that."

Kim said he plans to communicate to prospective students that Dartmouth's strong Greek system is a compelling reason to attend the College.

"I want 30, 40, even 50 percent [of admitted students] saying they understand what a positive force the system can be," he said.

Spears and the Dean of the College's Office staff will focus on the more hands-on administration of Greek-related issues.

Spears said she would involve herself in Greek issues only when they rise to a level where her perspective is required or requested, adding that her office would not seek to encroach on the responsibilities of the Coed, Fraternity and Sorority System.

Spears said she will develop her approach to the Greek system by looking at methods employed by previous Deans of the College.

"I think that in any transition in leadership, you learn from the person in the leadership role before you," Spears said.

She cited Crady's "incredible ability to partner in relationship with students," and said she will adopt a similar strategy.

Spears said one of her goals is to further leadership development programs in the Greek system.

"Imagine the power and influence of Greek organizations banded together for some common goal," Spears said. "Imagine the impact they would have not only at Dartmouth, but in the world."