Police arrest two on drug-related charges

Hanover Police arrested Jason Victor '09 and Athina Schmidt '11 on drug- related charges at Hitchcock residence hall on Friday afternoon.

Giaccone was unable to provide many of the details associated with the arrest of the two individuals, Jason Victor '09 and Athina Schmidt '11, because the investigation is ongoing and officers have yet to complete their report.

Victor and Schmidt did not respond to requests for comment on Monday.

The investigation began after police arrested Victor around 1:25 a.m. Friday morning for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence in the River Residence Cluster parking lot, Giaccone said. Schmidt was also in the vehicle but was not arrested, he said.

The vehicle was then towed from the scene, after which search warrants were obtained for the car and Schmidt's room, Giaccone said, which led to Schmidt's arrest, as well as a second arrest for Victor.

Giaccone said he could not comment on why a search warrant was not issued for Victor's room or why the search and arrest warrants were granted.

Safety and Security officers accompanied Hanover Police, who were executing the warrant, into Hitchcock residence hall on Friday afternoon, College Proctor Harry Kinne said.

Hanover Police searched Schmidt's room on the second floor of Hitchcock and took drug-related materials out of the room, Giaccone said.

Giaccone said he could not comment on the nature of those materials because of the ongoing investigation.

A male eyewitness at Hitchcock, who did not wish to be identified by name because of his personal relationship with the involved students, said officers were in Schmidt's room for approximately one hour and left with roughly duffel-sized bags. A female witness who similarly requested anonymity because of her relationship with the students said she saw officers vacuuming the room before they left.

Officers also searched another vehicle in front of Hitchcock, but Giaccone declined to comment on who owned that vehicle.

Victor was seen in front of Hitchcock talking on his cell phone while an officer looked on, the female eyewitness said. The officer asked Victor to get off the phone and sit down next to the police car, she said. After Victor attempted to stand up and move away from the car, officers put him in handcuffs, she said.

When she later entered the dorm, officers told the female eyewitness witness there was no need to be afraid to enter because this was "routine drug activity nothing violent," she said.

Victor's afternoon arrest was for a violation of conditions based on his release for the first arrest, Giaccone said, when he was charged with a misdemeanor for driving under the influence. Schmidt was charged with a misdemeanor and a Class A felony.

Both Victor and Schmidt were released on personal recognizance, meaning that they will agree to pay a fine if they fail to appear on their assigned court date. Victor's court date is set for Aug. 3. Giaccone said he did not know the timing of Schmidt's court date.

Giaccone said he could not comment about whether an intent to sell was discovered or suspected during the investigation.

Typically during criminal investigations the College waits to take action until Hanover Police finish their work, Kinne said.

Roland Adams, director of media relations at the College, declined to comment.