Admissions Office seeks to expand tech. outreach

Budget cuts prompted by the economic recession have forced the Admissions Office to examine how to use its funds more efficiently, according to Senior Assistant Director of Admissions Caroline Kerr. The office is increasing its outreach through technology in order to curtail the amount of money spent on traveling, she said.

The Admissions Office web site is undergoing significant changes to allow members of the Dartmouth community to better connect with prospective students, Kerr said. Additions to the web site include blogs by students who are involved in various activities on campus, blogs by admissions officers offering perspectives on the admissions process and a new Facebook group linking prospective students to Dartmouth student "webguides" who will conduct virtual tours.

The new Facebook group, which Kerr said should be launched within the next few days, will be entirely student-run.

"As much as we can, we put prospective students in touch with current Dartmouth students and, frankly, get out of the way," Kerr said. "That's when students get the best sense of what this place is like."

The Admissions Office periodically holds open chat sessions online to give prospective students further opportunities to hear from Dartmouth students and admissions officers.

The Admissions Office recently communicated with students at a school in South Africa via Skype, according to Kerr. Skype is a viable substitute for in-person admissions officer visits, which is helpful after cuts to the Admissions Office travel budget, Kerr said.

"We're thinking about how we can incorporate Skype sessions into more of our outreach this year," Kerr said.

Last year, the College participated for the first time in an online college fair called "College Week Live." In a virtual setting designed to look like a convention hall, prospective students were able to visit Dartmouth's "booth," accessing informational media and chatting live with current Dartmouth students and admissions officers, Kerr said.

The office will also attempt to cut travel expenses this fall by making a greater use of current Dartmouth students and alumni when possible, instead of sending admissions officers to other states, she said.

The admissions office has also made changes to the Dartmouth Bound program. The program, which has been in existence for over 10 years, transports a group of rising high school seniors to campus each summer to learn about the College and the financial aid and admissions processes.

In a previous interview with The Dartmouth, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Maria Laskaris. said that programs such as Dartmouth Bound that bring students to campus allow the admissions office to save money by eliminating their own travel expenses.

Features of the program include class visits, workshops and discussion panels that seek to explore the intersection of academics, service and leadership, according to Kerr. The program is designed for strong candidates for admission who might not consider Dartmouth otherwise. While they receive complimentary round trip transporation, it is funded by alumni donations, according to the Admissions office website.

The Admissions Office changed the Dartmouth Bound program in an effort to appeal to more diverse student populations, Kerr said.

This year, each program session was built around a specific theme great issues, global health and society or the Native American community. Each session featured a lecture by a faculty member whose work ties into the theme, Kerr said.

In order to increase awareness of the Dartmouth Bound program, Admissions created a web site that allows prospective students to access information about the program and apply for it online.

"The response we've received from Dartmouth Bound participants, and the changes we've made to the program, have been overwhelmingly positive," Kerr said.

Last year, 190 students applied for the Dartmouth Bound program, according to Kerr. This year 330 students completed applications for the just the first two sessions

These changes come at a time when admission to Dartmouth has reached record levels of selectivity.

The 12 percent admissions rate this year was the lowest in Dartmouth history, and the applicant pool was ten percent larger than last year's, according to Laskaris. Four hundred and one students were admitted through the early decision process with a 26 percent acceptance rate, down from 28 percent for the Class of 2012.

The Class of 2013 has slightly more women than men, at 51 percent and 49 percent respectively. Of students who attended schools that release class rank, 91 percent were in the top 10 percent of their graduating class, and 30 percent were valedictorians. The majority of the Class of 2013, about 60 percent, attended public school, while 35 percent attend private or independent schools.

The Class of 2013 is also socioeconomically diverse, with 52 percent of matriculating students projected to receive financial aid, the highest percentage in College history, Laskaris said. During the 2008-2009 academic year, 47 percent of the student body received financial aid.

"I think it really shows the impact of the economy this year," Laskaris said. "Many students were struggling with the decision and financial aid really was an important factor."

The average financial aid award for the Class of 2013 is $35,000, up from $33,722 for the Class of 2012. This year, the College will expand its financial aid budget to $72 million, a 13 percent increase.

Students of color make up 39 percent of the incoming class, up from about 36 percent from the Class of 2012. The class of 2013 holds a record number of Asian American, Latino and Native American students, at respective 15.9 percent, 8.2 percent and 5.5 percent, Laskaris said. The percentage of African American students, at 8.7 percent, is the second highest in College history, she said. Fourteen percent of the incoming class is made up students who will be the first in their families to go to college.

Of the students admitted to the College in March, just under 1050 accepted the College's offer of admission. Around 80 students were ultimately admitted off the waitlist.