Words from the Wiser

As freshmen, most students are still entranced by the novelty of Dartmouth. "Looking towards the future" means figuring out what's due in their next class, or determining what to wear to Monday Night Freeze.

By sophomore year, the not-always-peachy reality of D-Plans and majors cards force students to think ahead about what they want to do with their lives, and when they'll next manage to see the friends that defined the first year of their College career.

Sophomore summer, for many, becomes "the turning point" of the proverbial Dartmouth experience, as students pass their halfway point at the College. Nostalgic upperclassmen bombard sophomores heading into this term with lists of must-do's, including swimming at the river, going to the ledges, exploring the Upper Valley and raging four-plus nights a week never failing to add, "It's the best term ever!"

With the close of sophomore summer, reality sets in and many face the stark realization that their days at the College are numbered. Juniors begin to realize how quickly four years here can go, and while it's probably impossible to take advantage of everything Dartmouth has to offer, many belatedly decide it's more than worth a shot.

At the end of four years, many students report that their longest lasting memories stem from the times they stepped away from the "everyday" and tried something out of their element. While the conversations and relationships we have with our peers may someday prove just as useful as what we have learned in lecture.

As members of the Class of 2009 prepare to say goodbye to a place that has become their home, they remind us to take in everything while we are here, because it does end eventually even if some of us underclassmen are in denial.

Here, '09s share some of the things that they learned while at Dartmouth but wished they had known sooner the good, the bad and the just plain fratty.

"If you haven't had one night that you would describe as epic, you're not taking full advantage of the college experience. Also, if everyone loves you, your social circle is too small." Leah Adkins '09

"I've learned that much of the learning that goes on at Dartmouth happens outside of classes." Uday Seth '09

"Follow your hunches and don't live your life for someone else." Hari Iyer '09

"I realized that no matter how much (or little) work a class is, it is always 100 percent better when you find the material interesting you are inspired to get up and go to class, do the reading and actually get that paper done (gah, I hate [the] 1902 [Room]). And at Dartmouth, it's entirely possible to take one class a term just because the material is interesting or it's unlike anything you've ever done before. What's the worst that can happen?" Astrid Bradley '09

"5 a.m., right before the sun comes up in the spring, is the best time to do the Dartmouth Hall steps as part of your Dartmouth Seven." Alex Cook '09

"Always remember what kind of a person you want to be. It's cool to try new things, to drop old things, to experiment or to push limits. Just always remember that person you want to be, and don't let yourself get away from that." Tara McNerney '09

Streaking the Green on the way back to your room is one of the most fun ways to start off a hookup [laughs]. Shout out to all the boys I have done that with ... ahhh! Also go on an overnight trip with the DOC! They run them all the time and they are a restorative getaway from a hectic Dartmouth schedule. Julia DeWahl '09

"Take advantage of all the opportunities you have. Four years goes by faster than you think, and you'll never be in a place like this again with all these resources at your fingertips." Alex Clementi '09

Students should quickly learn to personally customize orders at all dining establishments. Don't settle for the standard items, you can do better. Try ordering a chicken cheesesteak from the Foco grill on a wrap it's kind of like a fajita." Sam Kennedy '09

"Never eat the ham salad sandwiches from the vending machines from Novack, always send documents to Greenprint twice in case the first time messes up, and go to Nathan's Garden!" Lauren Caracciola '09

"I've definitely learned to enjoy every moment. People weren't joking when they said four years goes fast." Lauren Strickler '09

"Discovering the Slamma-Jamma sandwich at Collis in my junior year was like stumbling upon the secret train to Hogwarts. Most people don't know it exists, but if you're lucky enough to discover it, you'll be carried away to a magical fantasy world that you'll never want to leave." A.J. Fox '09

"Everybody has an amazing story, and if you make the genuine effort to know people, you will be overwhelmed by the impressive gathering of people that are your classmates. Don't write anyone off, and listen to what people have to say even if you don't agree or can't relate because looking back, a satisfying Dartmouth career is, more than anything else, the memory of my interactions with great people and the lessons I've learned from them, even if they did not realize at the time their profound role to me as teacher." Ibrahim Elshamy '09

"The 1902 Room is evil and kills your soul. Sanborn is full of books and inspires you to read things." Michael Magner '09

"Paddock Music Library has an incredible CD and record collection, and free printing too." Kai Saul '09

"One of the best choices I made at Dartmouth was living off campus with a bunch of friends senior year the kitchen and the company are fabulous!" Kelsey Sheehan '09

"Your room is a safe haven. If you feel you can't express yourself however you want because you think you'll be judged you're living with the wrong people."
Katie Miller '09

"I wish I had known to go to the Men of Dartmouth and Women of Dartmouth panels. I didn't go to them until my senior year, and I was blown away by the speakers' courage and the stories they shared." Lauren Breach '09

"There are a million other things to do outside of academics that people should take advantage of." Karen Ellis '09

"I've discovered so many nice study spots this year that I wish I'd known all along like Rauner so go explore before you get in a rut." Cat Amble '09

"Try to get your work done when you know there's a warm spring day coming, because nothing is better than relaxing with your friends on the Green, by the river or at the ledges with no work to worry about." Ashley Gleason '09

"Always value your friends. Without a doubt, they are the most important takeaway from your Dartmouth experience." Jilian Gundling '09