Reboot and Rally

Usually each week that I'm writing, my editor will tell me to "write about some gadgets that pertain to the theme." She didn't tell me to do that this week. I guess she's finally catching on that I don't care.

Besides, after a weekend spent rolling around in the mud followed by an illness that I tried to convince myself was not the swine flu, I was in no shape to go down a creative route.

Instead, I will just rattle off some random thoughts that have been on my mind:

1080p TVs: The other day I overheard someone say (roughly): "Man, my new 1080p 32-inch LG LCD really looks good hooked up to my computer. I'm glad I splurged for [1080p]."

There are so many things wrong with that statement and I do not know where to begin. The biggest issue is likely that the speaker is dim-witted, spoiled, compensating for something, or most likely, a mixture of all three.

So what was wrong with what this uninformed but self-assured person said? The biggest issue is that the screen is only 32 inches. At that size, the difference in clarity between 720p and 1080p is incredibly hard to distinguish. It would take a trained professional or someone with very good eyesight to notice the difference. At larger screen sizes (generally at least 40"), 1080p does make a visible difference. However, you'll never hear the salesman at your local Best Buy say that when he is trying to sell you a more expensive 32" set that outputs 1080p.

The second big issue is the source. To watch 1080p, you need a source that produces that resolution. The number of computers that can push out 1080p are still limited in number, although it is becoming an increasingly popular feature. But for most people, unless you have a PlayStation 3 or a Blu-ray player, you will not be able to experience the full brilliance of 1080p, even with your expensive new TV.

Also, pretzels and hot sauce are delicious. I was walking through Topside when I discovered these gems in a bag. It was pretzel pieces coated in "Buffalo hot wing" flavoring. The color and heat tasted just like Frank's Red Hot, and it was delicious. The spicy flavor was so addicting I tried to duplicate it myself. I found that for flavor absorption purposes, pretzel pieces work best, but regular pretzels work if you dip them. Tabasco proved a little too hot for me. Frank's worked much better as a condiment. If you are still reading this, please go out and try this combination.

It's glorious, and you will probably thank me.