Apple techs. work to resolve wireless woes

Apple technicians visited campus on Wednesday and Thursday to diagnose a campus-wide problem that "sporadically" prevents Mac computers from connecting to the Dartmouth Secure wireless network, according to director of technical services David Bucciero.

Computing Services has long been aware of this problem, which causes Mac computers to identify themselves incorrectly on the network, and has had a case open with Apple's support services since January, Bucciero said. The issue is likely due to a bug in the Mac operating system, according to Bucciero.

"Apple felt they needed to come on campus to see the issue firsthand and made the decision to come while classes were in session," he said.

Bucciero asked Student Assembly for assistance in identifying students experiencing connection problems. Assembly members had previously offered Computing Services help in coordinating efforts to fix students' problems with Dartmouth Secure, Bucciero said.

Cory Cunningham '10, student body vice president-elect, said he contacted Computing Services because the Assembly had received several e-mails asking the Assembly to help fix the connection problems. Cunningham is a member of The Dartmouth Senior Business Staff.

Cunningham sent an e-mail to the student body soliciting the names of students experiencing connection problems with their Mac computers and gave the list of about 40 names to Computing Services.

While on campus, the Apple technicians collected data documenting the connection problem and will now attempt to develop an operating system update that will rectify the issue, Bucciero said, although he did not know when the solution would be available.

Bucciero estimated that 60 percent of the students who sought assistance had incorrectly configured their computers to access Dartmouth Secure. Students had most commonly configured their computers to connect to Dartmouth Public automatically instead of Dartmouth Secure, he said.

There are no plans for Windows technicians to come to campus, according to Computing Services representatives.

Amanda Winther-Schorsch '09 said she has experienced "repeated" problems connecting her Windows computer to Dartmouth Secure.

"Sometimes it freaks out, and I have to renew all of my certificates," Winther-Schorsch said, adding that the problem occurs randomly, and that she can sometimes rectify it by restarting her computer.

Bucciero said he did not know about any widespread issues with Windows computers connecting to Dartmouth Secure, but speculated that students experiencing problems may have incorrectly configured their computers. Students having connection problems should seek assistance at the help desk, he said.

Changes to Dartmouth's wired network also caused some confusion among students, Bucciero said.

Several buildings, including residence halls, switched to the College's privatized wired network on Thursday, Bucciero said.

When a building's wired network is privatized, users must register their computer with the network by logging in with their Dartmouth Name Directory credentials. Users can register an unlimited number of computers. Each registration lasts for one year, and users will receive an e-mail reminder to re-register two weeks before it expires.

The College chose to restrict access to its networks in response to a 2004 update to the Federal Communications Commission's Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, which requires all public network providers to disclose information transmitted via their networks when subpoenaed, director of network services Frank Archambeault previously told The Dartmouth. The College's wireless network was privatized in winter 2008.

Computing Services originally planned to switch only one building at a time to the privatized network in case there were complications with the conversion process, Bucciero said. There were no technological issues when the first buildings were converted, so Computing Services staff members decided to accelerate the process, he said.

"We're more confident now, so we're doing more buildings at once," he said.

All buildings will likely be on the privatized network by July 1, Bucciero said.

Computing Services received several phone calls from users who were unaware of the planned change and were confused about the registration procedure, Bucciero said.

Computing Services staff members placed posters around campus to inform students about the change and arranged for notices to be hung on the doorknobs of students' rooms the day before each residence hall was to be switched to the privatized network, Bucciero said.