The DM Manual of Style

The tag read "Organic Cotton" in a scribled font, and had a little drawing of a leaf. Standing in Forever 21 browsing cheap T-shirts, I had to laugh at this attempt to be "green" at a store where $10 shoes reek of plastic (take my word for it; this smell never wears off) and lam is more ubiquitous than at American Apparel. "Green" is possibly the most overused term of the year, right after "economic" and "crisis." Forever 21, a store whose entire purpose is to be trendy, cheap and overstocked, is now churning out clothes designed to reassure the consumer that if she buys this organic cotton T-shirt, she'll feel better about buying that pleather jacket, too. It's like when people drive their Hummers to buy organic tomatoes from Whole Foods. It just doesn't work.

With this in mind, be very careful when purchasing "green" items. They claim to be biodegradable, carbon neutral, or made from sustainable materials, when in fact sometimes these labels are just marketing tactics that blow a miniscule fact out of proportion.

"Some designs marketed as environment-friendly might include only a fraction of organic cotton, or a tag made of recycled paper," a 2007 New York Times article by Eric Wilson explains. The article also says that a shirt might be made from organic materials, but pollution from its transportation negates this change. In addition, bamboo and organic cotton fabrics can be rougher, so they are sometimes treated with chemicals that subvert the environmental integrity of the raw materials.

"The Department of Agriculture's standards do not regulate textile production once cotton has been harvested, so as a fabric it may be chemically treated, or printed with toxic dyes, and still be labeled as organic," the Times article says.

Soy products can also be weaker, thus forcing the consumer to replace goods more often, increasing production and waste. There is a disparity between the label and the truth, although there are some companies that are environmentally friendly.

Patagonia, a leading outdoor gear brand, has been researching eco-friendly solutions to wasteful consumer products since the 1990s. The brand devotes an entire section of its web site to environmentalism, where an essay explains how plastic debris never breaks down, so consumers shouldn't buy water bottles. The company also uses recycled plastic for its fleeces. If you, however, feel like you have to buy bottles of Dartmouth water every day, then here are some alternatives to lighten the load on your environmental (and economic) conscience this spring.

Rework the clothes you already own. Need a new pair of shorts? Make your own cut-offs. No skills necessary, just a little 60s music and a pair of sharp scissors and you're rocking them. If you're into boyfriend jeans, don't bother buying them. Maybe one of your guy friends is willing to part with an extra pair so you can do the whole Katie Holmes pegged jeans look. P.S. It's okay to use your brother's old pair.

Go vintage! Yes, we have our beloved Salvation Army in West Leb, but it can be rather flair-specific. Pink Alligator in Hanover has some gems if you're looking for a quick buy (or sell -- the great thing about secondhand is that you can sell your clothing, too!) If you find yourself in Boston, hit up the Garment District in Cambridge or Second Time Around on Newbury Street. Garment District has clothes from the 1950s to today, the dollar-a-pound room is pretty much a feeding frenzy and has Cosby sweaters a-plenty. And just think -- when your friends ask where you bought that dreamy eyelet dress, you can proudly respond, "It's vintage."

Second Time Around has a great selection of designer secondhand clothes that are still very current (lots of Lily Pulitzer and designer jeans). If you can't get down to Boston, ordering clothes from Urban Outfitters' Urban Renewal accomplishes a similar task as the line reworks old clothing into new dresses. Who doesn't like a hippy-chic jumper to frolic in on the Green?

To be "green" at Dartmouth, just remember to recycle and simply be aware of your consumption. It's not like we have that many shopping opportunities to distract us, and come on -- how much clothing do you actually need to enjoy the outdoors?