Big Green track and field teams begin outdoor season on top

The Dartmouth women's track and field team took first place in the Brown Invitational, edging out Brown by less than three points.

At Princeton, Big Green not only walked away with six first-place finishes, but also a new school record, an NCAA Regionals-qualifying throw and four IC4A-qualifying performances.

Emily Daly '09 smashed the previous College record to pieces with her hammer throw of 59.34 meters -- almost 2 meters farther than Dartmouth's previous record. Daly explained that despite her rush of adrenaline, she was "mentally pretty relaxed and focused in" on the task at hand.

"I didn't try to go in there and kill it," she said.

The NCAA Regionals-worthy distance earned Daly first place in the event. Although this distance is the best Dartmouth has ever seen, Daly said there is still room for improvement.

"I'd like to keep building on it," she said.

Right behind Daly was Dartmouth's Christina Alexander '11 in second place in the hammer throw. Alexander threw an impressive 49.17 meters. This one-two combination also carried over into shot put, as Daly's second-place throw of 13.33 meters was closely followed by Alexander's third-place distance of 13.21 meters. Alexander also stood atop the podium with a mark of 46.99-meters in the discus.

On the track, both the Dartmouth men's and women's 4x400-meter relay teams achieved noteworthy finishes. The men's team, composed of Tim Edmonds '09, Stephen Millington '11, Hector Reynoso '12 and Julian Thomas '09, finished in first place with a time of 3:20:57, while the women's team, composed of Alexandra Tanner '11, Naomi Stahl '12, Kaleigh Wood '11 and Natalie Stoll '10, finished in third with a time of 3:58.

Individually, Tom Robbins '11 ran away with the 800-meter run in a time of 1:52.82, a full two seconds before the second-place runner in the event crossed the finish line.

"It was my fastest opener ever," Robbins said. "I think I'm in the best shape of my life."

But Robbins did not stop there. His 3:50.65 performance in the 1500-meter run earned him third place and another IC4A-qualification. David Irving '11, competing in the 400-meter dash, also qualified for the IC4A with a third-place time of 48.40.

John Schroeder '10 ran his 5000-meter race in 14:40.55, which was quick enough to take third place in the event.

For the women, Tanner finished the 400-meter run 1:01.27, earning her first place in the event.

The Dartmouth women's team took first place in the pole vault, as Natalie Todd-Zebell '09 soared 3.75 meters, and third place in the long jump, thanks to the 5.32 meter-jump of Jessica Robson '11.

After the triumphant weekend, Daly said she thinks the team will do better than it did in the indoor season.

"We have more events that we can capitalize on outdoors," she said.

Lexi Pappas '12 said the weekend provided an opportunity to build team chemistry.

"This weekend was a great bonding experience, as the team stayed together overnight, some even for two nights," she said.

Robbins said he believes that the men did well in their first outdoor meet of the season.

"It was an important first step in getting [our] feet underneath [us]."

For the male distance runners, Robbins said he thinks their biggest challenge in future meets is "pushing ourselves to close faster."

The Big Green returned to the track this past weekend in Providence, R.I., where the women took first place at the Brown Invitational, defeating the Bears, Southern Connecticut State University, the University of Rhode Island, Bryant University and Harvard.

Dartmouth again dominated in the field events, with Alexander taking first in the discus with a final throw of 39.69 meters, followed by Anna Niedbala '12 in second place with a throw of 37.30 meters. Daly again took first in the hammer throw, contributing 10 points to the Big Green's overall score of 109.25. Alyson Pickett '12 and Jaclyn Wypler '11 topped off the Big Green's performance by taking first and second in the javelin throw, respectively.

Both the men's and women's teams return to action this weekend, hosting the University of New Hampshire, the University of Vermont, Tufts University and Middlebury College this Saturday in Hanover.