AS SEEN ON: Respect the Badge

NBC's new cop drama
NBC's new cop drama

NBC's newest show is the urban drama "Southland," which airs on Thursdays at 10 p.m. The show centers around Officer Ben Sherman (Benjamin McKenzie of "The O.C."), a newbie in the LAPD who's trying to fit in despite the upper-class skeletons in his closet.

Sadly, the premiere episode is as predictable as morning smog in L.A. On his first patrol, Officer Sherman monitors the L.A. highways and sideways with a lack of enthusiasm only matched by the cantankerousness of his weathered partner. What do they find on Sherman's first patrol? Self-entitled rich kids speeding in sexy cars, gangbangers who seem suspicious for all the stereotypical reasons and, of course, Officer Sherman's first shooting incident.

As affecting it is to see Sherman's shock after the shooting, the whole idea feels straight out of "NYPD Blue".

With 9.7 million viewers tuning in for the premiere, "Southland" seems to be a solid bet to stay on the air, especially on a network as desperate for ratings as NBC.

If the writers can sustain the promising dynamics between its major characters, this cop drama could prove to be one to watch.