Women's lacrosse extends winning streak, beats Brown

Co-captain Julie Wadland '10 had nine saves in Dartmouth's 16-1 victory over Brown on March 28.

An all-around team effort guaranteed the win for No. 16 Dartmouth (5-3, 2-0 Ivy), as three different players secured hat tricks, while another four also scored.

Co-captain and goaltender Julie Wadland '10 had nine saves and almost gained the shutout, only to be beaten at the net on a top-shelf strike by Brown's Katelyn Caro in the second half.

"We played a solid game on both ends of the field," Wadland said. "The defense started out the game, and after the attack followed suit, we moved the ball everywhere up the field and really executed our game plan."

The offense started strong, as midfielder Dana Brisbane '12 netted her first goal off a Katherine Chiusano '09 assist less than two minutes into the game.

The Big Green notched 19 shots in the first half alone, and converted a majority of them to end the first half 11 goals ahead of the scoreless Bears (4-4, 1-1 Ivy).

Brown gave the Dartmouth attack plenty of opportunities, committing 16 fouls in the first half. The Big Green was able to capitalize on nine free position shots during the game, scoring on five.

Midfielder Greta Meyer '11 kicked off the second half by netting her second unassisted goal of the game at 27:33, and notched a hat trick just three minutes later, assisted by Kat Collins '11. Meyer and Collins each had a hat trick and two assists on the day.

Attacker Sarah Parks '12 also completed her own hat trick immediately after Meyer's second period opener, scoring three goals on three shots during the game.

Brisbane added her second goal soon after from a free position shot to produce the biggest lead of the game at 15-0, until Brown managed to notch the team's only goal of the contest.

Eliza Bennett '10 capped off the scoring frenzy for the Big Green with 16 minutes left to play. From there, the defense did its work to ensure Brown did not score again, as Wadland made five saves in the second half.

"I think that we finally just played our game like we've been practicing to play," Meyer said. "We didn't really have any breakdowns, and we just flowed as a team."

This latest victory over the Bears is especially sweet for the Big Green, as the same matchup last season saw the women suffer an 8-5 loss.

The team has seen much improvement since its loss to Maryland on March 18. The team's total of 26 shots on goal and 24 ground balls outweighed Brown's 15 shots and 18 ground balls.

Despite the tough loss against the Terrapins, Meyer attributes a large part of the team's progress to that game.

"Maryland was a really good team and we stuck with them and proved to everyone and our team that we are really good and are capable of playing the best," she said. "It definitely boosted our confidence and allowed us to play as well as we did [against Brown]."

The Big Green rebounded from its loss to Maryland to overtake Yale 8-6 in New Haven, Conn., and then carried its momentum into a 17-8 home victory over Fairfield University (8-2, 2-0 MAAC).

Spring break allowed the team to concentrate on lacrosse, as the team had fewer distractions Wadland said.

"What really helped was that we had a lot of team time, and we also went to a team retreat the second week over break," she said. "With all this time together and without any other distractions, it has really helped and you can see it in our play."

The score did not capture the complete picture of possession and ball control, as Dartmouth fell short to Brown with draw controls at 13-6.

"We are just really looking forward to improve some ground, and every game we are really trying to play 60 minutes of Dartmouth lacrosse, and to just play our game consistently," Wadland said.

Dartmouth will now try to maintain its undefeated record in the Ivy League as it takes on Cornell (5-3, 1-2 Ivy) at home on April 4 at 1 p.m.