Women take sixth at Ivy Heps, men come in last

Several members of the Big Green men's track team will head to Boston, Mass. for the ICA4 meet this weekend after qualifying for the event at the Indoor Ivy League Heptagonal Championships.

On the women's side, Dartmouth finished tied with Columbia at 41 points. Cornell won the meet with 117.5 points, with Princeton finishing second.

The Big Green team saw strong high jump performances from Sarah Klassen '10 and Rachel Pallin '12, who placed third and fourth, respectively. Both cleared the bar at 5' 5.75", earning Dartmouth nine points.

In the 400-meter dash, Alexandra Tanner '10 finished sixth, qualifying for the ECAC championships next weekend with a time of 56.19. The 4x400-meter relay team, which consisted of Tanner, Christina Supino '12, Kaleigh Wood '11 and Natalie Stoll '10, also qualified for ECACs, placing fifth with a time of 3:54.47.

Emily Daly '09 and Christina Alexander '11 also excelled in the field events for the Big Green. Daly finished her indoor career with a shot put throw of 45' 7.25", good enough for fourth place. Alexander placed fifth with a throw of 42' 9.75".

On the men's side, Dartmouth finished eighth overall with 18 points, 23 points behind seventh-place Harvard. Cornell completed a sweep of the meet, winning the men's title with 176.5 points. Princeton finished second with 121.5 points.

The highlight for the Big Green men was a third-place finish from Tim Wunderlich '09 in the heptathlon, with a score of 4976 points. Wunderlich took the top spot in the shot put with a throw of 45' 10.75", and placed second in the high jump at 6' 1.25".

"I would say overall the team was disappointed with our performance," Wunderlich said. "However, we did put a fair amount of people on the podium. That indicates that our young team will have potential in the next couple years."

Stoll said overall, the Dartmouth team's results were mixed.

"There were some unexpected outcomes in a couple races that were disappointing, but other great performances as well," she said. "Our distance medley relay team is hoping to make it on the top five all-time list for Dartmouth at ECACs next weekend."

On the track, Muhammed Abdul-Shakoor '10 finished third in the 60-meter dash in 6.96 seconds, earning six points for the Big Green. Abdul-Shakoor also qualified for the IC4A meet next weekend.

Julian Thomas '09 earned one point for Dartmouth by finishing third in the second heat of the 400-meter dash, with a time of 49.17. He also qualified for the IC4A meet.

Ted Lesher '10 also earned a point for the Big Green by placing sixth in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.38.

"Right now we are trying to learn from the meet, but also putting it behind us and looking forward to the outdoor season, which should show much improved results," Wunderlich said.

Next weekend, the qualifying Big Green women will compete at the ECAC Championships in Boston, Mass., while the Big Green men qualifiers will race at the ICA4 meet, also in Boston, Mass.