Hanover couple found dead in apparent murder-suicide

Elliot Lewis, 84, and his wife of 59 years, Barbara Lewis, 82, were found dead in their downtown Hanover condominium on March 16 in what appears to be a murder-suicide, officials said.

Barbara Lewis' death was ruled a homicide after a Wednesday morning autopsy, conducted by New Hampshire's chief medical examiner Thomas Andrew, revealed multiple gunshot wounds to her head and chest.

Elliott Lewis' death, the result of a single gunshot to the head, was deemed a suicide.

A handgun found at the condominium is assumed to be the weapon involved in the crime, senior assistant attorney general Peter Hinckley said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

"Domestic violence is not a suspected motive in this case," Hinckley said. "There was a lengthy suicide note that was left apparently by the husband."

A press release issued by the Lewis family states that Elliott Lewis' actions were motivated by his deteriorating health and his wife's anxiety about potentially being left alone after his death.

Elliott and Barbara Lewis "had mentioned in passing that they could not imagine life without each other," the press release said.

Hinckley said he believes Elliot Lewis wrote the suicide note, which was addressed to his family. The note's contents will not be made public until after the investigation is closed, he said.

Police first responded to the Lewis' apartment at 85 South Main St., which is adjacent to CVS, after the couple's son, Spencer Lewis, found a note taped to the door instructing the reader to call the police but not to enter.

The State Police Major Crime Unit has been working in conjunction with the Hanover Police Department to investigate.

The investigation is still ongoing, Hinckley said.

"We do a thorough investigation of any crime to make sure things are as they appear," he said. "That's why we are continuing the investigation."

Bob Haynes of R.E. Haynes Company, who leased Elliott Lewis the office he used for his financial consulting business, said he was surprised and saddened to hear of the events.

"[Elliott Lewis] seemed like a very pleasant guy, and I'm very upset by this," Haynes said.

Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone and lead investigator trooper John Encarnacao of the Major Crimes Unit did not respond for comment by press time.