HealThySelf House aims to put focus on outreach

Two years after its initial conception, the HealThySelf House project, an initiative to support students dealing with substance abuse and emotional difficulties, has decided to focus on reaching out to students in need rather than working to raise funds to obtain a physical plant, according to founder Bill Sjogren '67.

HSH was founded to provide a safe space for high school and College students struggling with drugs, alcohol, eating disorders and other challenges. The organization originally planned to secure a physical plant within walking distance of the Dartmouth campus and Hanover High School. HSH was also hoping to raise between $50,000 and $100,000 through fundraising efforts beginning this past spring, Sjogren said in a previous interview with The Dartmouth.

Due to the high turnover of student volunteers and limited availability of the members of its board of directors, however, HSH has changed its focus this year, concentrating on the recruitment of students in need, rather than on trying to secure a physical plant, Sjogren said.

"There was one idea to establish a physical plant and get the program up and running," Courtney Talmadge '09, a student volunteer, said. "I think that before acquiring a physical plant, the game plan is to get the program itself going."

Sjogren explained that the program needed to change its focus because it was not effectively helping students in need.

Now, HSH plans to make helping students its primary focus before seeking a physical plant, Sjogren said.

"Reaching out to students is the primary purpose now," Jessica Taub '08, a student volunteer, said.

The program is also working to increase students' role in directing the initiative.

"We had too much of a top-down approach -- if we build it, they will come," Sjogren said. "Rather than trying to go out and do substantial fundraising, our efforts are more ground-up focused now. We want to recruit students [in need] so that they define what HSH is."

HSH hopes to find a group of students seeking help to energize the program and help develop a "critical mass" to build upon, Sjogren said. Once the group of students is organized, HSH will become self-perpetuating, Sjogren said.

In addition to finding students in need, the program also needs to recruit student volunteers.

"It is hard getting students involved because there is so much turnover on the Dartmouth campus," Talmadge said. "The inevitable turnover combined with the Dartmouth Plan makes it kind of difficult to get a task force togeher. Plus, [Sjogren] has a full-time job and [HSH] is something he is trying to do outside of his daily activities, which is not a small feat."

HSH has also changed its original plan to raise up to $100,000 in funds, as reported in The Dartmouth last year.

"HSH at this stage isn't funded at all," Sjogren said. "It is mostly based on volunteer effort."

HSH is no longer actively seeking funds because establishing a physical plant is no longer its primary focus, Sjogren said.

Steve Hunt '08, former student chair of HSH, said the program originally had difficulty determining exactly what its role on campus should be.

"The HealThy Self House is still in its preliminary stages and has yet to determine its mission," Timothy McManus '11, student co-chair of HSH, said.

Over the past year, HSH has hosted several talks at various Greek houses, Liya Shuster '10, incoming student chair for HSH, said.

Sjogren and HSH members held talks about responsible alcohol use at both Alpha Delta and Beta Theta Pi fraternities, a talk about gender issues at Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority and a nutritional meal information session at Delta Delta Delta sorority.

The foundation hopes to host additional talks about alcohol, drugs, eating disorders, sexual abuse and other issues that affect students on campus, Shuster said.

"We have created an initiative with hosting these talks and we hope to continue that for the rest of the year," Shuster said. "We want to take the pulse on how people feel [HSH] can be accomplished."

Sjogren said he decided to start HSH, a non-profit organization, to help students who do not believe they currently have a place on campus to go to for support.

"I was in a [fraternity] here, and I drank heavily here," Sjogren said. "I played football and baseball. I fit into that typical Dartmouth jock role, but at the same time, I never quite felt comfortable."

Sjogren said he hopes HSH will help students facing similar difficulties.