Big Green ski team takes second consecutive carnival

After falling behind the pace set by the University of New Hampshire on the first day of the competition, the Dartmouth ski team came back to win the UNH carnival with 901 total points.

The Big Green overcame the deficit to take first place by a 67-point margin over second-place UNH, 901 to 834.

Both the men's and women's cross-country teams delivered important victories in the classic contributing 524 points to Dartmouth's total.

The Big Green victory came despite a serious stomach flu bug which spread among members of the Dartmouth teams and sidelined multiple skiers.

Ida Sargent '11 did not finish the 1.4-kilometer classic sprint due to illness, but managed to push through the sickness and place sixth in the following day's 10-kilometer freestyle race.

Sargent, who in last weekend's Bates Winter Carnival finished first in the five-kilometer classic race, would likely have placed in the top two or three, had she been healthy, coach Cari Thompson said.

Rose Brennan '11, who recently recovered from the flu, stepped up for the team, winning the classic sprint and placing first in her 10-kilometer race ahead of University of Vermont's Caitlin Patterson. Patterson finshed the race in 29:33.9, a mere six-tenths of a second behind Brennan's time of 29:33.3.

"Because Rosie had been sick, she planned to start off in the moderate range and then pick it up later in the race," Thompson said. "She did cut it a little close, but she managed to do well."

Captain Hannah Dreissigacker '09 followed closely in that race, finishing fourth with a time of 30:03.9.

Dakota Blackhorse von Jess '09 was forced to sit out the 10-kilometer free due to illness, but not before winning the 1.4-kilometer classic sprint with a time of 3:22.18.

Eric Packer '12 and Patrick O'Brien '10 finished fourth and fifth in that race, respectively.

The men's Nordic team aimed to place so that Dartmouth could collect as many points as possible, rather than focussing on individual performances, Packer said.

"In the sprints it is possible to help teammates as much as possible, so Dartmouth can earn more points," he said. "A lot of times in heats, two to three Dartmouth skiers are matched up against one another, so we work together by drafting so that we can get more people in the final."

This plan was effective at the UNH carnival, as three of the Big Green Nordic skiers placed in the top five for the sprint.

The alpine teams also gave an impressive effort, as the women's team placed first in the slalom with 113 points, and third in the giant slalom.

Courtney Hammond '11 continued her notable form from last week's Bates Carnival, finishing first in both of her races. Hammond finished her slalom with a total time of 1:36.76.

Co-captain Christine Roberts '10 finished sixth in that race, with a time of 1:39.77.

The men's alpine team placed third in the giant slalom race with a total of 92 points, but was not as successful in the slalom race, finishing seventh with 69 points.

Skier Francis Fortin-Houle '10 won the most points for the men's alpine team, placing eighth in the giant slalom with a total time of 2:19.50,to garner 32 points for the Big Green.

Packer said he believe there is still room for the men's team to improve its performance.

"I think that, as a team, we had a good performance, but everyone thinks they can do better, and we are definitely not sitting on the results that we have, and everyone is trying to accomplish more," he said.

In the meantime, the ski teams will focus on fighting off the stomach flu.

"I just want people to feel healthy and race to their full potential," Thompson said. "Our main goal is to make sure the team is healthy, and just to race the way they know they can race."

The Big Green now looks ahead to prepare for next weekend's carnival, hosted by the University of Vermont.

That event will take place this Friday and Saturday at the Stowe Mountain Resort in Stowe, Vt. Events are scheduled to begin with the women's giant slalom race at 9:30 a.m. Friday.

Racing will kick off Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. with the men's slalom event.