Counterpoint: Eating alone - Time to chill, or total loser?

I have a confession. I am petrified of eating alone. Sit me down in a table at Collis with an open textbook, laptop and crossword and I'll be cozy, but dining solo sans props is an entirely different beast.

It has occurred to me that I'm not alone in this boat -- I did a casual survey of Food Court on Saturday at lunch and found one brave luncher dining alone, tucked away in the back corner reading with her laptop open, and her head resting on her hand in an effort to block her face from the rest of the lunch crowd. Given that I don't appear to be alone in my phobia, why is it that dining alone is so taboo?

Part of it is the culture of Hanover. Sitting down for a meal alone in a metropolitan setting, protected by a mask of anonymity, seems manageable -- even romantic -- as opposed to dining along at Dartmouth, which is the epitome of undesirable face time.

Dartmouth is obsessed with the perception of busyness. We've been raised on a culture of perpetually-booked calendars, and have been shuttled from debate club to soccer practice by mini-van since preschool -- and it is reflected in our dining patterns. With our jam-packed and color-coordinated iCal's, we find it unfathomable to have the time to sit down for a meal, unless it fulfills some other function -- be it reading for class, or catching up with friends.

There is always more to do, so if you aren't being productive -- either socially or scholastically -- there must be something wrong.

Given this rationale behind dining with a purpose, I propose a movement towards a more European mentality, where even lunch is a multi-hour, wine-filled event during which stores close their doors and everyone gathers to eat, drink and be merry. This may not seem congruous with an argument for dining alone, but don't disregard it just yet. I recognize that this idealized redefinition of the modern "meal" is a lofty goal -- the amount of coordination and planning to realize such an objective on a regular basis takes time we don't have -- but it does change the significance of sitting down to eat. Instead of an emphasis on productivity, put the emphasis on enjoyment. Enjoy dining with your friends, but if you find yourself in Home Plate flying solo, take the time to simply enjoy the food and the moments away from hyper-productivity.

Okay, so that was just a little too philosophical for Point-Counterpoint. I'll try to tone it down a bit from here on out. Here are some more shallow benefits to contemplate:

1. People-watching. Admit it. You love it too. Make it the focus of your meal, instead of sneaking in 30 seconds of it while your friends sample the Collis soup choices.

2. That really weird food item you won't admit you enjoy. Your friends may not necessarily judge, but they'll certainly give you a good chirp now and then. Enjoy it in peace.

3. Winter term. If there's any term to experiment with eating alone, it's this one. The '10 class is looking sparse, and even the '11s seem significantly less numerous -- with so many peers off campus, you aren't the only one struggling to find lunch buddies. Others will empathize. Anyway, it's too cold for your hands to be anywhere but in your pockets -- so trekking back to your room with your to-go container is asking for frostbite.

4. Mr. (or Mrs.) Right. Every time I board an airplane, I keep my fingers crossed as I walk down the aisle that I'll sit beside that one really cute guy I noticed in the security checkpoint area. It's never quite played out for me, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have the same philosophy about eating alone -- every time I fly solo in Food Court presents an opportunity for that perfect stranger to take the adjacent seat.

Unrealistic romantic fantasies aside, the opportunity to make a new friend -- or at least engage in an interesting conversation -- is a highly feasible outcome of sitting unaccompanied, even if starring in a real-life Pavilion romantic comedy is a little less likely.

Whether you want to adjust your outlook on the cultural significance of meal times, or simply sit back and laugh at the chaos of Collis post-10As, try out the solo meal. Maybe it'll change your life, and if not, then accept my apologies for the half-hour of your life you wasted.