Women's hoops falls to MSU in OT

Dartmouth's women's basketball team traveled across the river to Vermont this weekend for the T.D. Banknorth Classic, losing its first match to Michigan State University, 60-52, in overtime, before falling to the University of Vermont.

Michigan State, a member of the Big 10 Conference, narrowly missed national top 25 rankings this week, as the Spartans were the top vote-getters outside of the AP poll conducted this week.

"Going into the game, the most important thing was to show that we've improved and that we can play better basketball," captain Koren Schram '09, who led the Big Green with 24 points, said. "We wanted to come out and show that we can compete."

The Big Green played a solid defensive game and managed to hold off a much bigger team on the boards, out-rebounding the Spartans, 41-37. Brittney Smith '11 led the team with 12 rebounds.

"We had a plan on defense, and we executed the plan very well," Schram said. "We didn't back down."

Dartmouth also shut down Allyssa DeHaan, Michigan State's 6-foot-9 center, holding her to only two points and four rebounds.

On the offensive side, senior guard Schram led the Big Green with 24 points, including six from behind the arc. Darcy Rose '09 was the next highest scorer, garnering eight points.

The Big Green started the game strong, jumping to a 9-0 lead off of three 3-point shots from Schram. Dartmouth's solid defensive display began early, as the team did not allow the Spartans to score until nearly five minutes into the game.

The Big Green jumped to a 12-5 lead with 12 minutes left in the first half, marking the first time this season that MSU has trailed an opponent.

After MSU pulled to within one point with nine minutes left in the half, the Spartans began a 9-0 run that gave MSU a commanding lead. The teams then exchanged baskets until the end of the half, which ended with a 31-25 MSU advantage.

The second half opened with a 3-pointer by MSU's Aisha Jefferson to give the Spartans to their biggest lead of the game, 34-25.

This Big Green kept up and took the lead when Smith capped off a 9-0 run with a lay-up to put Dartmouth ahead, 42-39, with seven minutes left in the game.

Jefferson and MSU teammate Kalisha Keene then scored to bring the Spartans to a 44-42 lead with six minutes left to play.

The Big Green spent much time late in the game at the free-throw line, as Rose and Smith combined for five points off six free throws to bring the Big Green to a 47-44 lead.

Smith made some vital plays towards the end of the game, blocking two shots before Jefferson was able to make two free throws and a lay-up to bring the Spartans an one-point advantage.

After a foul, Smith made one of her free throws to tie up the game. The Spartans gained possession with 27 seconds on the clock, but the tough Big Green defense did not allow MSU to get off a shot, and regulation ended with a 48-48 tie.

MSU's Mia Johnson opened overtime with a 3-pointer that was followed by two free throws from Margaret Smith '10, which brought the Big Green to within one. The Spartans then went on a 5-0 run, increasing their lead to six points, a deficit from which the Big Green was unable to recover.

The Spartans were able to extend their lead to eight before the end of the five-minute overtime, putting the final score at 60-52.

Looking forward, Schram noted that there are always positive ways to look at a hard-fought game.

"There are always things you can improve on," Schram said. "Overall, our effort was the most improved part of our game, and I think we've got it down now."

Dartmouth went on to fall to the University of Vermont in a triple-overtime marathon, 82-77, on Sunday.