Soccer bags 3rd OT win to finish on positive note

Becky Poskin '09 notched her third goal of the season to down Cornell, 3-2, in OT. The Big Green out-shot Cornell, 39-15, in its last game of the season.

In the finale of its 2008 season, the Big Green women's soccer team rallied in overtime to beat a persistent Cornell squad, 3-2, on the road in Ithaca, N.Y., on Saturday afternoon.

After the Big Red scored with nine seconds left in regulation, Cornell (2-12-1, 1-6-1 Ivy) was unable to stave off the relentless Dartmouth attack, which tallied an impressive 39 shots on the game.

"We came out with a good mentality," defender Jenny Stone '10 said. "We took advantage of lots of opportunities at the beginning of the game and were really offensive-minded from the start."

The Big Green (8-6-2, 2-4-1 Ivy) finished its season with two Ivy League wins coming against the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell.

Saturday's game marked the fifth overtime match this season for Dartmouth, which has been undefeated in overtime games, winning three and tying two.

The Big Green struck early against Cornell, jumping onto the scoreboard in just the third minute. Forward Becky Poskin '09 sent a cross from the left side to Peyton Tata '11, who finished with a shot that beat Cornell goalkeeper Jodi Palmer.

The Big Green scored an insurance goal in the 34th minute when defender Thea Sutton '10 earned her first collegiate point, assisting Sarah Bromley '11, whose shot found the back of the net for her first goal of the season.

At the half, the Big Green headed off the field ready to cruise to victory after the break. A 2-0 lead and a 17-4 shot differential pointed to the Big Green's overwhelming command in the first 45 minutes.

Dartmouth did not hold back coming into the second half, putting up 18 shots while forcing Palmer to make six saves. The Big Green managed to control the pace of play for much of the game and, coming into the home stretch, anticipated that the it would continue to control the game.

Cornell would not give up without a fight, however, posting five shots late in the second half. Cornell's offensive push paid off, as the Big Red evened up the score with two goals in the last 10 minutes of regulation.

In the 81st minute, Cornell's Lena Russomango crossed the ball into the box, finding the head of teammate Brook Chang, who sent a rocket past Dartmouth goalie Colleen Hogan '12 to cut Dartmouth's lead in half, 2-1.

The Big Green realized that a one-goal lead was precarious at best and pushed forward on offense, but the counterattack ended with a shot from midfielder Tata that was cleared by a Cornell defender.

Surprising both players and fans, Cornell's second goal came at 89:51, when Russomango fed the ball to teammate Eva Dixon, who sent a shot sailing into the net with only nine seconds left in regulation.

"We settled into a pattern [at the end of the game]," Stone said. "We allowed ourselves to drop to their level for a few minutes. It was just a mental lapse."

Dartmouth women's soccer is no stranger to overtime play, finishing five of its 16 games this season in extra time. The team knew that it would have to play tenacious defense in order to continue its overtime unbeaten streak against Cornell.

"Everyone knew we had to win," Stone said. "We were a little flustered and panicked, but, from the way we had been playing, we knew it had to work out."

Just seven minutes into overtime, junior midfielder Myra Sack '10 crossed the ball to Poskin, who beat the goalie to end the game. The goal marked the second time this season in which Sack assisted Poskin on an overtime, game-winning score.

Palmer did her best to keep Cornell in the game, making 13 saves on the day. Her solid play, however, was not enough to withstand the intense Dartmouth attack, which outshot the Big Red, 39-15.

Freshman goalkeeper Anna Chinco '12 made her first start in goal for the Big Green and was replaced by classmate Hogan in the 73rd minute. Until Saturday, Laurel Peak '09 played every minute in goal for the Big Green.

Chinco made two saves and did not allow any goals in 72 minutes of play, while Hogan made three saves and allowed two goals.

The win against Cornell brought the Big Green into sixth place in the Ivy League, tied with Yale.