Daily Debriefing

The Tuck School of Business held its 15th annual diversity conference for prospective students over the weekend. The student-run conference brought prospective students from a variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, religious affiliations and sexual orientations to meet with current Tuck students, faculty, alumni and visiting business executives. The conference featured mock classes, economics panels hosted by Tuck's Career Development Office, and a number of social events. The conference also included keynote speeches from New Mexico Treasurer James Lewis, Ramsey Jay Jr. Tu '05, an associate analyst for Ares Management, and Krystal Williams Tu '03, a program manager for Deere & Company.

Nearly 800 students and faculty from Westmont College in Santa Barbara, Calif., crowded together for safety in the school's gymnasium Friday night as a wildfire ravaged the campus, The Los Angeles Times reported Saturday. The fire destroyed several academic buildings -- including the school's physics and math buildings -- dormitories and 14 faculty homes, though no one sustained injuries. The fires continued until midnight. Despite the use of duct tape to seal off all cracks to the outside world, the air inside the gym became increasingly hot and thick as smoke seeped in through cracks in the doorways. Campus officials and the college's president assured evacuees that the gym was the safest place to be. The college's president told The Los Angeles Times he was grateful that no one was injured, which he partly attributed to the many drills students had participated in. He added that officials were amazed the damage was not more extensive given the strength of the winds and fire.

Two hundred academic researchers, students, lawyers and other guests gathered in Washington, D.C., this past weekend to attend the first meeting of the Neuroethics Society, the Chronicle of Higher Education reported Friday. The newly founded society, which brings together neuroscience practitioners to discuss controversial issues arising in the expanding field, had anticipated a crowd of roughly 50 participants. The conference explored a range of issues, including the increase in the number of children diagnosed with bipolar disorder, the possibility of enhancing brain power through medications and whether advances in neuroscience have destroyed the idea of human free will. The event attracted several young scientists, including 11 undergraduates in a neuroethics seminar at Furman University, according to the Chronicle.