Women's soccer plays to 1-1 draw with Boston U.

Aly O'Dea '12 chases a loose ball against Boston University, Wedsnesday

Boston University (6-5-1) jumped onto the scoreboard first, with a goal from Corie Halasz in the 37th minute. Teammate Jessica Luscinski sent a cross from the right side to Halasz, whose shot beat Big Green goalkeeper Laurel Peak '09 to the far side of the goal.

Dartmouth retaliated in the second half by putting the Terrier defense under intense pressure, which eventually paid off with a goal in the 82nd minute to tie the game.

Midfielder Kelsey Quick '10 drew a foul 45-yards out and took the resulting free kick on goal. BU keeper Janie Reilly knocked the ball away and onto the feet of Peyton Tata '11, who put the ball away for her second goal of the season.

"I felt that we did well against BU," said midfielder Katie Davis '11. "Before the game we talked about starting with intensity and maintaining that intensity for the whole game, which we did."

The Big Green saw two scoring opportunities in the 57th minute. First, Tata sent in a shot that was saved by Reilly, who seconds later managed to hold on to a short range bullet from Quick off of a pass from Myra Sack '10.

Both teams were presented with chances to score in overtime, but great saves by both Big Green and Terrier goalkeepers preserved the tie.

Three minutes into the first overtime period, Peak made a diving save to block a stinging shot by Halasz and keep her team in the game.

Just two minutes later, the Big Green nearly ended the game on a corner kick into the box that was headed by midfielder Ali Hubbard '10, who missed the crossbar by inches.

Quick, who led the team with five shots on goal, also made a big defensive stop in the box at the beginning of the second overtime. Tough defensive play and effective clearances by Erin Fleischli '12 and Jenny Stone '10 off the bench helped keep the Big Green in the game.

The last chance for Dartmouth came with just one minute remaining in the second overtime, with a shot from Quick that missed just wide.

"I think one thing we could have done better is capitalizing on our chances," Davis said. "We had plenty of opportunities to score, in the first and especially in the second half. I also think there were times when defensively, we could have been more compact and put a little more pressure on [Boston]."

The score and statistics both represent the even matchup of the two teams. Boston led Dartmouth by just one shot, taking 18 throughout the 110 minutes. The Big Green managed to tally 17 shots and seven corner kicks.

Peak was kept busy in goal, making an impressive 11 saves in the wet conditions Wednesday night. Reilly made seven saves throughout the game to keep her team in contention.

Fitness became a factor for both teams with play extended an extra 20 minutes past regulation. Five members of the Big Green squad played all 110 minutes, including Peak, Fleischli, Davis, Whitney Odden '09, and co-captain Emily Forline '09.

"I think that since we played with intensity and heart for the entire 110 minutes, we'll expect ourselves to do the same for every game in the future," Davis said. "We've set the bar high for every game that follows, and we won't let it drop."

The Terriers have a history of close games against Dartmouth -- this was the teams' fifth contest in six years to head into overtime.

"Overall, we didn't let them win," Tata said.

The Big Green travel to Princeton to take on the Tigers this Saturday, Oct. 4.