Proposal restructures SEMP alcohol policy

In an interview with The Dartmouth, Crady said he is currently looking for input from the Dartmouth community before finalizing the proposal, which will not go into effect until the Spring term, at the earliest.

The AMP proposal relaxes restrictions on hard alcohol and kegs by generalizing regulations for "all events where alcohol is present and with attendance of 30 or more individuals."

The current SEMP policy distinguishes events as being "open" or "closed," which includes "members-only" events and "cocktail party ('tails)" events, and specifies distinct regulations for each type of event.

Under the current policy, hard alcohol is only allowed at "members only" events and "cocktail party" events. If the new AMP proposal is implemented, these regulations would no longer be in affect. Hard alcohol will be allowed at all events, and registered kegs, which are currently permitted only in a limited number at "open" events and certain "closed" events, will also always be permissible.

The AMP proposal places increased emphasis on event planning. Under the new procedures, every organization sponsoring social events with alcohol would submit a "Weekly Management Plan," detailing events, including their times, locations and the quantity and type of alcohol being served. The proposal requires organizations to submit weekly plans each Thursday by 4 p.m., that include all events scheduled for the upcoming week, beginning on Friday.

Additionally, organizations must submit an "Internal Alcohol Management Plan" each term, outlining specific information about events, including the events' sponsors, monitors and servers.

Greek and residential organizations and senior and undergraduate societies would send their plans to the Office of Residential Life for approval, while other organizations would submit plans for approval from the Student Activities Office.

In addition, the AMP proposal offers increased details regarding the responsibilities of monitors, sponsors and servers during events. The proposal emphasizes that snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, other than water, must be offered at all parties.

A working group of administrators and students, chaired by Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, reviewed the SEMP policies during the past year to create the AMP proposal.

The proposal's suggestions will not be implemented right away, according to a letter to Dartmouth undergraduates from Dean of the College Tom Crady. In an interview with The Dartmouth, Crady said he is currently looking for input from the Dartmouth community before finalizing the proposal, which will not go into effect until the Spring term, at the earliest.

"My goal is really to hear from a diverse range of students and faculty up until November 15," Crady said.

Many policies outlined in the AMP proposal overlap with those already in place under the current SEMP program, including the College's goals when handling alcohol policy, the regulation of off-campus events involving alcohol and Safety and Security's role in regulating events where alcohol is served.

The revision of the College's alcohol polices was initiated by Crady, who said he heard many complaints about the existing policies when he first came to the College this past January.

"We heard that students simply didn't follow the SEMP policies," Crady said. "That was clearly articulated to me."

The review committee thoroughly reconsidered all of the College's alcohol policies, and subsequently came up with the recommendations that are outlined in the AMP proposal, Crady said. He attributed the change in name of the document to the fact that the committee did not simply revise SEMP policies but completely restructured the way that the College handles alcohol use.

"We want to make sure that the policy is clear and reasonable," Crady said.

Students did not follow SEMP procedures in the past, Crady said, because they did not understand them.

Crady spoke with the Interfraternity Council Monday night to gauge their reactions to the proposal.