New system improves cell service

In an effort to increase cell phone signal strength on campus, Agito Networks will implement a new system at Dartmouth that will allow cell phones to use both cellular and wireless signals, according to David Bucciero, director of Technical Services at the College. Since Dartmouth's campus is completely wireless, certain cell phones will now work anywhere on campus, Bucciero said.

"If you're in Boloco, this phone will look for any wireless hot spot, which is really cool," he said.

Bucciero added that, as of now, only dual-mode phones can take advantage of the technology. Nokia phones are currently the best suited for the new technology, Bucciero said, mentioning the E-61s, E-71s and E-51 as specific Nokia models that can take advantage of the technology. However, Nokia is not under a carrier organization, like AT&T Wireless, which means the phone itself can cost about $300 dollars, whereas phones bought through wireless plans are usually subsidized.

Cell phones have been able to use wireless signals on campus since 2003, when the Kiewit Voice wireless network was established. Cisco Systems Inc., which provides service to most of Dartmouth's land-line phones, made cell phones which could use a wireless signal, but not a cell phone signal, Bucciero said.

"Phones on the wireless network at Dartmouth are nothing new," Bucciero said.

The new technology allows phones to run off of either type of signal. Cell phone will be able to switch between the two different types of signals without losing a call.

In order to monitor the campus' computer systems, the Computing Services staff constantly has to stay in touch with each other. Last year, using cell phones that could only run on cellular signals, the staff's total cell phone costs totaled more than $21,000. Some staff members have switched to phones that also use wireless signals and Bucciero said that if the entire staff made that switch, he believes annual cell phone costs would be cut in half.

The pilot program, which has been going on for three months, consists of 22 people, on the computer services staff, who are testing the new connection. Burrecio said his hope is to get a sample of 100 people, including students, to show that the technology works and is beneficial. Bucciero said he wants to reach out to students with Nokia phones, and include them in the pilot program.

"I bet there is a decent percentage of students who don't have good cell coverage in their rooms, but I'm assuming the wireless works fine," he said.

Some students said they did not see the need for the new technology. Ali Hiller '11, who subscribes to Verizon Wireless, described her connection as better than in her hometown, Princeton, N.J.

"I don't really know a lot of people who have really bad service," she said. " It's not that important in my opinion."

Caitlin Halpert '10 mentioned that she lived nearby and "always kind of had bad service."

"It could be useful but cell phone providers are expanding services and coverage so it almost seems too late to try another option," she said.