Vermont keeps field hockey winless with OT goal

Kristen McCormick '09 set up Dartmouth's first goal against UVM to pick up her first assist of the season.

Despite the overtime loss, the final score against UVM represented the closest margin of defeat of the season for Dartmouth (0-5, 0-1 Ivy). The Big Green mustered zero goals in the previous four games, getting out-scored, 14-0.

According to co-captain Ashley Hines '09, Wednesday's contest could mark the beginning of a turnaround for the Big Green.

"We just switched our system of play, so I think we're just going to work on finding out who fits well in these new positions that we have, and who works well together," Hines said. "We experimented a little today. Today was the first day we played our new system, so I think it's just a kind of a puzzle that we need to figure out."

The Big Green's hopes for a win were foiled when Vermont (4-4, 0-0 America East) pushed the ball the length of the field during sudden-death overtime, as the Catamounts' Maegan Luce shot past the Dartmouth defense to net the game-winning goal just over two minutes into the period.

For most of the second half, though, it was Dartmouth that was in control of the play. The Big Green's three-goal streak began in the last minutes of the first half, and Vermont's offense did not record a shot until midway through the second half.

Down 2-0 to the Catamounts, the Dartmouth run began with a goal by Kelly Hood '12, assisted by co-captain Kristen McCormick '09 and Virginia Peisch '11, in the final moments of the first half. Hood took advantage of a corner opportunity and connected for her first collegiate point from the top of the circle.

With nine shots recorded in just the first 10 minutes of the second half, Dartmouth's aggressive tactics paid off again when Hood pushed the ball to Hines during a penalty corner. Hines lifted the ball over the goalie to tie the game, 2-2.

The Big Green led Vermont in penalty corners, 11-5. Dartmouth also outshot the Catamounts 16-11.

Dartmouth finally pulled ahead with a little over 10 minutes left to play when Chelsea Dodds '10 put in a penalty shot, giving the Big Green a 3-2 advantage with 13:38 remaining in regulation.

The advantage, however, was all too short-lived. With just three minutes left to play, Vermont's Wendy Carbone shot the ball in after a corner, knotting things up at 3-3 to force overtime.

"We made a comeback, we dug ourselves out of a hole," Hines said. "We have a pretty good feeling going into the weekend against Brown and then Holy Cross. I think we're going to take a lot of positives out of [this game]."

While the loss was disappointing, head coach Amy Fowler was happy that her team put some goals on the board and expressed the hope that they would continue the scoring trend going into this weekend.

"Today's game was a tough loss for us," Fowler said. "I thought our team played well, and I was pleased with our scoring, although three goals wasn't enough to win it. The fact that we did score three goals is a huge positive for us and will give us momentum heading into the weekend."

Dartmouth will face Ivy League rival Brown on Saturday, Sept. 27, at noon on Chase Field in Hanover, followed by another home contest against Holy Cross on Sunday, Sept. 28, at 2 p.m.