The DM Manual of Style

The leaves are falling, the weather is getting colder, and school is back in session. Although the onset of fall may seem bleak, the season does have one saving grace. I'm not talking about the foliage (overrated) but rather, Fashion.

Autumn is the time for new clothes, as the Fall 2008 Collections showcased in February on the runways of New York, London, Milan and Paris finally become available in stores. Sartorially speaking, this fall is especially exciting, offering innovation and creativity while remaining highly accessible. From the film noir heroines in intricate lace at Prada to the deconstructed urban pioneers at Ann Demeulemeester, designers all over the world are offering creative visions that are sure to inspire the perfect back-to-school outfit.

Three collections in particular are dictating the trends and setting the tone for the season, offering a young and fresh perspective.

Already a favorite of models and fashion editors, Alexander Wang put forth the most-coveted looks of the season, and his captivating designs are bound to make the 24-year-old prodigy a household name. His unapologetic tough-girl pieces -- tuques, sheer tanks, distressed denim, leather pants, shredded chiffon skirts, slouchy vests and torn black tights -- are grungy, tomboy perfection.

Alex's effortlessly chic look is not only ridiculously sexy (on every body type!) but easy to replicate as well. Swipe a few pieces from your boyfriend's closet and pair them with feminine pieces from your own wardrobe to transform yourself into September's It Girl, the enviably louche waif who always gets what she wants.

Invoking an edgy, downtown gamine aesthetic, Marc by Marc Jacobs continues to cause quite a stir. Unlike Alexander Wang's gritty glamour, MJ's collection of playful dresses, sarcastic (sarcastic is the new ironic) T-shirts and bondage-inspired buckle boots is more straightforward in its embrace of the feminine and youthful. Incorporating subtle references to fashion's crazy-chic fad by boldly combining disparate stylistic influences, the look is based on a quirky mix of 1950s beatnik and 1980s new wave. Get into the act by punctuating a basic black outfit with whimsical accessories, such as hot pink combat boots, a beret and a houndstooth scarf to keep warm as the temperature starts to fall.

Another highly influential collection this fall is the prim and aristocratic style of D&G, Dolce & Gabbana's younger diffusion line. This season represented a break from tradition, as the label's characteristic tight and flamboyant clothing were abandoned in favor of demure outfits better suited for the English countryside than a discotheque in Milan. With dramatic plaid tops paired with long plaid kilts, and silk scarves worn as babushkas, the collection was inspired by HRM Queen Elizabeth, as her highness would be on holiday at Balmoral. Even for non-royalty, D&G's polished and proper attire will look perfectly luxe whether on the English countryside or simply on campus.

This fall, embrace fashion's most cutting-edge trends and turn the Green into your own personal catwalk. Autumn never looked so good.

Stefanie is a staff writer for The Mirror. She makes it work.