The Perfect Sophomore Summer Day

Summer is all about spending as much time outdoors as much as possible. So to help you out, we've scheduled a perfect summer Saturday from sunrise at 5:15 a.m. until after sunset. All you need is a car (preferably hybrid, please), a little bit of cash, and an adventurous summer spirit. And don't forget the sunscreen!

Start at Sunrise: 5:15 AM

Being the first one out of bed once in a while is fun! Start off with an energetic walk up East Wheelock Street to Balch Hill. At the top, gaze over the scenery while enjoying a picnic breakfast.

Swing by A-Lot on your way back down and head off to Lebanon in your car for breakfast's second course...

1. Pick your own fruit:

Venture two miles past Wal-Mart on Route 12A in West Lebanon (past the turn for the Ledges) and you'll come upon Edgewater Farm and its five acres of strawberry fields. The farm is open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to noon and then later from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. If you're craving other fruits, Poverty Lane Orchards in Lebanon (a few miles closer to campus than Edgewater Farm) offers raspberries and cherries, which were expected to ripen during the first week of July.

After enjoying your harvest, drive up to South Strafford, Vt. for a mid-morning swim that's sure to get your blood pumping...

1. Jump into the copper mines:

The Elizabeth Copper Mine of South Strafford, Vt. was abandoned in 1958, but these days the sheer cliffs and bright blue waters attract many a daring student. The thrilling leap into the blue lagoon makes this destination a staple of sophomore summer, but beware: the mines are private property and the beautiful color of the water is due to contaminating chemicals. The site is part of the EPA's Superfund Program, and the rocks are reportedly unstable, so don't tell anyone you heard about it from us.

Having worked up an appetite, drive back towards Hanover and stop in Norwich for a gastronomical experience...

1. Shop for a meal:

Whether it be backyard barbecue or dorm kitchen stir-fry, the summer is the perfect time to brush up on your culinary skills, and not just because of the dining halls' odd hours. Local farmers' markets provide fresh, local produce for you to experiment with, and the atmosphere makes each outing far more fun than simple grocery shopping. Every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Norwich hosts a large farmer's market featuring the usual fruits and vegetables as well as meats, prepared foods, dairy products, crafts and artisans' works and live entertainment. In Hanover, the parking lot behind Ben & Jerry's transforms into a slightly smaller farmer's market every Wednesday from 3 to 6 p.m. (Not in the mood to cook? The Farmer's Diner in Quechee, Vt. serves delicious local food right to your table.)

Now because the free samples weren't enough to fill you up, drive back north again...

1. Picnic and Swim at the Union Village Dam:

You might think the Green is the only community recreational area in the vicinity, but the Union Village Dam is a nearby spot that provides outdoor adventures of every kind. The Thetford, Vt. site offers picnic and grilling sites, hiking trails, swimming in the Ompompanoosuc river, fishing opportunities, and even a "Mystery Trail" that features a different historical puzzle every day. The Vermont scenery is beautiful, the river has lots of rapids and falls, and the trails provide a great view of the river valley "-- all only half an hour from campus.

Because you're probably homesick by now, head back to dear old Dartmouth...

1. Go Boating:

Take a canoe from Ledyard out for a few hours and head south to Gilman Island or north to the rope swing, or rent a sailboat at Dartmouth's boathouse on Lake Mascoma in Enfield. For another day, Ledyard's Pancake Paddles are a must for experiencing those early summer mornings on the water and getting a great breakfast along the way. And Tubestock may be no more, but why not get together a few boats and drift with the current?

If you're looking for dinner, scour the campus for "free" barbeques -- you know there's one somewhere, it's Saturday -- or pack up another picnic of Farmer's Market delicacies for dinner at Gile Mountain (make sure you reach the top before the sun sets at 8:33 p.m.)...

1. Climb the Fire Tower:

A quick drive and a half-hour walk will give you breathtaking views of the Upper Valley and beyond, so pick a clear day and grab your camera. Left over from the days when rangers had to keep a lookout for forest fires, Gile Mountain's steel structure rises high above the mountain's summit of 1,873 feet to reveal an unparalleled panorama of New England's natural beauty. Sunrise and sunset are popular times for viewing, but prepare your leg muscles for the many flights of stairs. We promise, the view at the top is worth it.

Once you've safely climbed down from the tower, you've earned a rest. Indulge with an outdoor movie or two...

1. Go to a Drive-In Movie:

The Fairlee Drive-In movie theater in Fairlee, Vt. is open seven days a week, and plays double features on the weekends. It's only half an hour away, but it just so happens to have a motel -- so you don't have to drive home if you don't want to. Call (802) 333-9192 to find out what movies are showing this week. The Randall Theater in Bethel, Vt. is about 40 minutes away on I-89. Only open on the weekends, they show double features of recent popular flicks. Bring snacks and bugspray and enjoy.

If it rains...

Spend time taking in the Hop's art galleries, the jewelry studio and the wide variety of performances, including movies. Play board games at Lone Pine Tavern.

The Best of the Rest:

Visit the Organic Farm; gaze at the cosmos from the observatory; see the Big Apple Circus; play mini golf at Fore-U Golf in West Leb; set up a sprinkler on the Green; paint pottery at the Tip Top in White River Junction; walk the Mink Brook Preserve just south of campus; pack a lunch and visit the Montshire Museum in Norwich; rent croquet from Collis and play on the Green; pass your classes.