Spotlight on Ray Crosby

Ray Crosby is a familiar face behind the counter at Collis. He's been serving omlettes, stir fry, entrees and smoothies there for almost nine years now. What makes this guy tick? Read on to find out.

How long have you been at Collis?

I want to say eight years. I think it's eight going on nine.

What is it about Collis that you like the most?

The kids. You get one on one interaction with the kids, and I like the food that they serve.

What's the weirdest order you've ever made for somebody?

A smoothie. They put peas, carrots and dill pickles, and I'll never forget it. I just looked back at them and said, "It must have been a rough night."

When did you start calling everybody Bubba?

To be honest with you, I think it started six years ago. There was this guy and I could not remember his name and it's hard to remember everyone's name anyways, but it was easier to call him bubba or kiddo. So everybody is Bubba as far as I'm concerned.

Are you married?

Yep. I have two beautiful kids, a 14- and a 12-year-old.

What's your life like when you're not working here at Dartmouth?

It's pretty laid back. I go home, I live on a mountain. I call it Honeydew Mountain. Usually I get there and the kids are home, they're all grown up now where they can fend for themselves. My wife, she enjoys cooking just as much as I do, so I really don't cook at home. I kick back, have a couple cold...sodas. I enjoy fishing, antique cars, got a couple at the house now.

Been to any Red Sox games this year?

Not this year. I went a couple years ago. I had beautiful tickets. A nice gentleman here at Dartmouth gave me some tickets to bring my boy to the Sox game for his very first game. It meant a lot to me and it meant a lot to my boys, they'll always remember it, and the gentleman's name, Mr. Wright. President Wright.