Daily Debriefing

Three Dartmouth professors were appointed to endowed chairs on June 25, Vox of Dartmouth reported on July 21. Professor William Wohlforth was named the Daniel Webster Professor of Government and Jonathan Crewe, professor of English and comparative literature, was appointed as the Leon D. Black Professor in Shakespearean Studies. Professor Nancy Marion became the first George J. Record 1956 Professor in Economics, a chair established by a donation from the Record family. According to the Dean of the Faculty Office, the professors were selected for the positions after recommendation by the Dean of the Faculty and approval by the Committee Advisory to the President and the Board of Trustees. Crewe said he anticipated that his appointment would direct him to focus on Shakespeare more in his own work and in his teaching. "It's almost impossible to do research that doesn't immediately feed back into the classroom," he said.

Daniel Goodchild, 17, of Keene, N.H., is in critical condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center after being shot in the head by Randy Whitten Jr., 51, at an outdoor party in Winchester, N.H. early Saturday morning, the online edition of The Keene Sentinel reported on Monday. Whitten was arrested early Saturday morning by police who came across his vehicle with Goodchild wounded in the passenger seat, according to The Sentinel. Whitten has been charged with felony reckless conduct, and is being held on $20,000 cash bail, the Associated Press reported. Goodchild's family told the AP today that Goodchild is making positive progress, including moving his hands and fingers.

Three thousand people participated in the GE Petit Foundation 5K Road Race honoring Jennifer Hawke-Petit, Hayley Petit and Michaela Petit in Plainville, Conn. on Sunday morning, according to the Hartford Courant. The Petit Foundation was established in memory of the wife and two daughters of Dr. William Petit Jr. '78, who were murdered during a home invasion in Cheshire, Conn. on July 23, 2007. Hayley would have been a member of the Dartmouth Class of 2011. This was the first year for the road race, which was coordinated by Gary and Bob Heslin, childhood friends of William Petit, the Courant reported. According to the Courant, William Petit ran and walked the 3.1 mile race in 44 minutes, 42 seconds.