Track and field teams compete in ECAC/IC4A meets championship meets

The men's track and field team is in eighth place out of 49 teams in the ECAC/IC4A championship meets after two days of competition.

The men finished in eighth place out of 49 teams, while the women's squad came in 33rd place out of 47 teams after Saturday's competition.

The ECAC/IC4A championships are scored meets, and only the top eight finishers in each event score points toward their respective school's team score. Athletes qualified for the events by meeting certain time and distance criteria based on performances from meets earlier in the spring season.

Both the men's and women's squads saw several impressive individual performances. Preliminary events were held on Friday and Saturday, and many of the finals occurred Sunday afternoon.

Results for the final competitions were not available as of press time.

Highlights for the men's side up to Sunday morning included the times from Glenn Randall '09 and Mike Carmody '08, a pair of distance runners who have performed well for Dartmouth all season.

Randall placed second in the men's 10,000-meter race on Friday afternoon, with a time of 30 minutes and 11.13 seconds.The finish gave Dartmouth eight points and was a two-second improvement from Randall's time at the outdoor Heptagonal Ivy League championship meet last weekend.

Randall has improved dramatically over the course of the season after taking the winter off from running in order to compete for Dartmouth's Nordic ski team. Randall won an individual NCAA title in the 10-kilometer freestyle cross-country race this winter.

Mike Carmody '08 also earned a spot in Sunday's finals in the men's 800-meter preliminary race, qualifying with an eighth-place finish of 1:50.38 in Friday's preliminary race. The time also qualifies him to compete in the NCAA regional meet next week.

Carmody has been a key middle-distance runner for the Big Green this season, racking up points in individual events and contributing to successful relay team efforts.

Ben True '08 also qualified for Sunday's final after placing seventh in the men's 1,500-meter event with a time of 3:50.40.

Alex Lippai '09 finished 15th in the finals of the men's hammer throw with a toss of 54.99 meters.

On the women's side, Emily Daly '09 scored two points for the Big Green, placing seventh in the women's hammer throw with a mark of 53.27 meters. She also placed 18th in the finals of the women's shot put, throwing 12.78 meters.

Jessica Long '08 came in ninth place in the hammer with a mark of 52.76 meters and recorded a throw of 44.20 meters to place 15th in the discus event.

Alexandra Tanner '11 qualified for the finals in the women's 400-meter hurdles, placing sixth in the preliminary event with a time of 1:01.56.

"Alex ran another very exciting race for us in her qualifying round," women's coach Sandra Ford-Centonze said. "I'm very excited that most of our strongest runners will be returning next year."

Natalie Todd-Zebell '09 ended her strong season with a 10th place finish in the pole vault, clearing 3.75 meters.

Cassandre Tanner '08, Alexandra's older sister, took eleventh place in the long jump with a leap of 5.80 meters.

"I think that both the men and women's teams were very competitive given that everyone was recovering from Heps," Ford-Centonze said. "People were obviously quite tired but everyone continued to give their best and it showed. Dartmouth was very well represented at the ECACs and the coaches were very pleased with everyone's efforts."

The ECAC/IC4A meets mark the end of the season for the majority of the members of Dartmouth's track and field teams.

Dartmouth will send six athletes to compete in the NCAA regional meet at Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla., next weekend, where they will attempt to qualify for the NCAA Championship meet at Drake university in Des Moines, Iowa on June 11.