Track and field concludes outdoor season at championships

Five Dartmouth track and field athletes will move on to the NCAA regional meet starting on Friday, May 30 at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Fla.

The men's team finished 27th of 49 teams after the conclusion of the IC4A meet, with a total of 13 points.

Dartmouth's women's team placed 39th of 46 teams at the ECAC championship meet, with a score of four points.

Six Dartmouth athletes competed in events Sunday after qualifying for the final round of their respective events during preliminary competitions.

Alexandra Tanner '11 and Emily Daly '09 were the only Big Green women to compete at the ECAC meet on Sunday. Tanner qualified for the final race in the 400-meter hurdles in 1:01.56 on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the sunny weather of the first two days of competition did not continue through Sunday, and conditions were quite poor. As a result, all of the hurdlers saw a drastic increase in their times due to the puddles that covered the lanes. Tanner was able to finish in 1:02.56, finishing seventh with two points for Dartmouth.

"Alex's first collegiate hurdle race was at Princeton in April, so finishing in the ECAC finals there made for a very gratifying individual season," women's track and field coach Sandra Ford-Centonze said. "Every meet she recorded new personal records, hitting her best time in Saturday's prelims and just barely missing the NCAA regional qualifying standard. Alex overcame a lot of pressure and produced some great first-year results."

Daly placed 18th in the shot put finals, throwing 12.78 meters despite the downpour. Due to results posted earlier in the spring season, Daly will travel to the NCAA regional meet in Tallahassee, Fla., on May 30.

"Overall, I am very proud of our women's team this season," Ford-Centonze said. "We have had some ups and downs, but I'd like to think there have certainly been more ups. Obviously we would have liked to have placed higher at the Heps meet, but we had many great performances throughout the season as athletes set personal bests and broke school records."

For the Big Green men's team, Mike Carmody '08 finished fourth in the 800-meter final event with a personal-best time of 1:50.81.

Ben True '08 came in tenth in the finals of the 1500-meter race, with a time of 3:51.35. Mike Poppler '10 placed 10th in the finals of the men's long jump event, leaping 7.07 meters in the best attempt of his career. Randy McKnight '08 also qualified for Sunday's finals but finished 21st in a field of 22 in the triple jump event.

"I think that our season went very well overall," men's coach Barry Harwick said. "We took a lot of pride in assembling a complete team that could really compete across the board. From our sprinters to middle and long-distance runners as well as our field athletes, we really had one of the most balanced teams in recent Dartmouth history."

Several members of the men's team will join Daly for the NCAA regionals in Florida. Carmody qualified for the 800-meter race, Harry Norton '08 for the 1500-meter race, Alex Lippai '09 for the hammer throw and Tim Wunderlich '09 for the javelin throw.

Athletes who compete at the regional championships will have the chance to qualify for theNCAA championships on June 11. Decathlete Tyler Koskenoja '07 has already qualified for this meet, as there is no regional qualifier for the decathalon.

This June, 23 members of Dartmouth's track and field teams will travel to Ireland with members of Brown's track and field teams to compete in an NCAA-sponsored competition. The NCAA sanctions such an event every four years, pairing two conference opponents to live and compete in a foreign country.