SEC names class orator, marshals,

The Senior Executive Committee released the names of eight seniors who will serve as the 2008 class marshals, leading the procession of the graduating class during Commencement ceremonies. The SEC, the governing council for each class for five years following graduation, also announced the names of students who will act as the four class historians and one orator. Three marshals and one historian are members of the SEC.

This year marks the return of SEC members as marshals, after no committee representatives were selected in 2007, according to SEC president Lauren Bennett '08. Last year's decision followed controversy over the 2006 appointment of five SEC members as marshals, which resulted in the resignation and replacement of these students.

"I think the number we have is really, really reasonable," Bennett said. "[The three we chose] are outstanding Dartmouth students, regardless of whether they're in the SEC or not."

The 2008 class marshals are Denise Abeita '08, Johnathan Ball '08, Elise Braunschweig '08, Jamal Brown '08, Sam Haynor '08, Jacqueline Loeb '08, Sydney Scott '08 and Ian Tapu '08. Ball, Brown and Loeb are members of the SEC.

Although Bennett said the selection process is "confidential," she emphasized the fairness and legitimacy of the proceedings.

"It's all very democratic -- we have a list of guidelines that we follow and abide by the moment we undergo deliberation," she said. "I really applaud my committee members for being so thoughtful and reasonable during the process."

Seniors nominate themselves or others for consideration, and the SEC reviews the respective achievements and qualifications of the candidates, Bennett said.

"We try to select people who really stand out as having given back in relatively diverse ways," she said.

This year's historians are Chad Detloff '08, Ahmadu Gidado '08, Anna Tobin '08 and Mike Trapp '08. Detloff is a member of the SEC. Latif Nasser '08 was selected as class orator.

The historians and orator will have no responsibilities at Commencement, and will perform their duties on Senior Day, a special event held the day prior to graduation.

"[Senior day is] a way to wrap up our Dartmouth experience in a less formal and more student-run setting than graduation," Bennett said.

Historians' duties include acting out comedic skits depicting campus exploits. Bennett characterized the performances as "a way to review our four years at Dartmouth."

"We tried to pick really funny, entertaining people who have also had interesting experiences here, people that would be able to highlight our Dartmouth experience," she said.

Tobin is pleased with the students chosen, she said, adding that the committee had selected "an overall great group of people."

"It's a great representation of campus," she noted. Previous selections have been criticized for not reflecting the makeup of the student body, as reported in past articles of The Dartmouth.

Tobin said she was looking forward to performing her duties as class historian.

"I'm really excited about it," she said. "I hope that the historians can put on a fun and entertaining show for the [Class of 2008]. I'm really thankful for the opportunity."