Police Blotter

May 7, 3:02 a.m.

West Wheelock Street

Emergency services received a call from a female who said she believed there was a prowler in her apartment. She said she heard footsteps in her residence and locked herself in her bedroom. When Hanover Police arrived, they found nothing unusual. The police were unable to determine what the subject heard.

May 7, 3:07 a.m.

South Park Street

Dartmouth Safety and Security reported seeing a possibly nude male concealing himself behind a tree across the street from Leverone Field House. When Hanover Police arrived, an officer ordered the man to reveal himself. The subject, a 20-year-old Dartmouth student, was wearing only khaki shorts, which apparently caused the initial report of nudity. The student told the officer he "did not want to get into any trouble." Hanover Police said the male was visibly intoxicated, so they requested a breathalyzer test, which the student consented to take. The test determined that the man had a blood alcohol level of 0.17. The student was then arrested and processed. He has a summons for a court appearance on June 24, but may qualify for the alcohol diversion program.

May 7, 12:57 p.m.

Crosby Street

After being charged with theft by Hanover Police earlier in the morning for stealing a wallet from a backpack in Alumni Gym, a Guild, N.H. resident walked to downtown Hanover, intending to drive away in a vehicle he had parked there. Hanover Police informed the subject that he was under suspension and prohibited from operating the vehicle. The male "totally disregarded" the warning, according to Hanover Police. Hanover Police later observed him getting into the vehicle and driving away from town. The officers arrested the man again, this time for driving after revocation, and obtained a warrant to search the vehicle. Hanover Police reported finding evidence "consistent with" heroin. The man's original court date, June 10, still stands.

May 11, 12:27 a.m.

Etna Road

While on patrol in Etna, a Hanover Police officer came across a car with two occupants parked in a church parking lot. Due to the late hour, the officer decided to check on the occupants and found beer and what appeared to be marijuana inside the vehicle. The driver, an 18-year-old male, was arrested for unlawful possession. Hanover Police said they will be notifying the subject's parole officer of the incident since he is on probation for a prior offense. The vehicle was subsequently towed. The subject's court date is unlisted. There was no evidence to suggest that the passenger was in violation of the law. Neither of the occupants were Dartmouth students.

May 11, 1:25 a.m.

South Main Street

Dartmouth Safety and Security called Hanover Police after seeing a seemingly intoxicated male and a female walking in the street. The female appeared to be assisting the male, who was staggering. Hanover Police arrived on the scene and determined the male was a 17-year-old freshman at Harvard University. Due to the male student's level of intoxication, he was transported to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. The student is scheduled to appear in court on June 17, but he may meet the conditions for enrolling in the alcohol diversion program. The female subject was released from the scene without incident. It is not known whether she is a Dartmouth student.

May 12, 1:12 a.m.

Allen Street

Everything But Anchovies described a "convoluted" incident to Hanover Police in which they thought they were possibly being defrauded. A staff member reported that a subject with a male-sounding voice, possibly in his twenties, placed a call for a $68 order. The subject left a phone number at which he could be reached that was different than the number from which he called. EBA's reported the second number was associated with a residence to which they delivered regularly. The staffer then called one of the two numbers, reporting that the subject on the other end hung up the phone. EBA's then contacted Dartmouth Safety and Security to see if they could match the first number, a cell phone listing, to a Dartmouth student. Safety and Security said it was not listed under any student's information, according to EBA's. At that point, Hanover Police intervened, calling the owner of the cell phone. The owner said he had lent his phone to a "dude" who he did not know at the Price Chopper, thinking the "dude" needed a ride home. An EBA's driver then called the second number he was given and discovered that the owner of that phone was asleep and "unhappy to be woken up." Nevertheless, Hanover Police said it seems the initial call was a legitimate order. Further details have yet to emerge.

May 12, 4:36 p.m.

South Street

A Howe Library staff member called Hanover Police to report the theft of a wheelchair from the library premises. According to the police, the library keeps a wheelchair available for public use by any patron who may benefit from it. Hanover Police said two high school students "thought it was a cute idea" to steal the wheelchair. They were later found near the old recreation center, still in possession of the wheelchair. The officers notified the library director and called the subjects' parents to inform them of the incident.

Courtesy of Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone