Library creates endowments

A contribution from the Manton Foundation will lead to the formation of a $3 million endowment for Dartmouth's Digital Library program and a $1 million endowment for maintenance of the Orozco murals in Baker-Berry Library. The foundation is a frequent supporter of museums and art.

Sandra Niles '90, a trustee of the foundation and the granddaughter of Sir Edwin Manton, the organization's founder, said in a press release that she enjoyed studying under the mural as a student at the College.

"These endowments are made to honor the memory of my grandparents, Sir Edwin and Lady Manton," Niles, who is also the foundation's spokesperson, said. "I have fond memories of studying in the reserve reading room as a student at Dartmouth because the space was made so much more alive by the murals. Our gift reflects my family's appreciation of the importance of the work and my grandparents' lifelong support of the arts."

The contribution will support the installation of new lights for the mural exhibit and fund educational programs related to Jose Clemente Orozco's work.

The gift will also help the College's Digital Library program continue a long-term project to digitalize Dartmouth-specific materials, according to Dean of Libraries Jeffrey Horrell.

"It's important because these unique and wonderful treasures can be shared and used for teaching and scholarship," he said

Horrell gave the example of Samson Occom's diaries, letters and other writings, which English professor Ivy Schweitzer uses in her classes, that are made accessible to students due to their digital access.

The digital program has been limited by its funding, Horrell said, explaining that contributions like those provided by the Manton Foundation are critical to the continuation of the project.

"We have to [digitalize] selectively," he said. "We can't afford to do everything."

Edwin Manton was born in 1909 in England. A patron of the arts for most of his life, he founded American Patrons of Tate, which supports the Tate Gallery in London. Queen Elizabeth II knighted him in 1994 to acknowledge his generosity.

The Manton Foundation gift is part of the College's capital campaign, a $1.3 billion fundraising effort, Horrell said.