Track and field squads notch another spring win

Dartmouth's track and field teams continued its spring success with impressive performances at the Brown Invitational on Saturday. The men's squad won the meet with a score of 176 points while the women took second with a score of 142 points.

Brown's men came in second with 141 points and Brown's women won with 167.5 points. Harvard finished last in the men's meet with a score of 30.

Dartmouth's performance this past weekend come on the heels of strong results at the Tufts Invitational on March 29 and at the Princeton Invitational last weekend.

"It was a good day all around for both squads," women's coach Sandra Ford-Centonze said. "Just like last week at Princeton, the weather forecast predicted bad weather but turned out to be wrong as we enjoyed some great conditions. Everyone was very excited and the good collective mind set really helped."

Brian Evans '08 ran away with both the 100-meter and 200-meter dashes with winning times of 10.84 seconds and 21.96 seconds. Muhammad Abdul-Shakoor '10 was second in the 100 meter with a time of 11.06 seconds and Tim Edmonds '09 took second in the 200 meter with a time of 22.38 seconds. Abdul-Shakoor also placed third in the 200 meter at 22.40 seconds.

"Brian really had a great meet at Brown," men's coach Barry Harwick said. "His performances in the 100 meter and 200 meter were especially exciting."

Harwick took a small group of Dartmouth's core distance runners to Arizona this weekend for the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe.

Mike Carmody '08, Ben True '08, Harry Norton '08 and Glenn Randall '09 raced in Arizona. True and Norton competed in their first races of the season, while Randall was tops in the 1500-meter competition. His time of 3:45.35 not only moved him into fourth place all-time for Dartmouth runners in the event, but helped Randall qualify for the NCAA regional meet later in the season.

Julian Thomas '09 came in second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.10 seconds. Rick Cedrone '08 took second in the 400-meter hurdles by clocking in at 57.08 seconds.

In the longer distance events, Trevor Middleton '09 placed third in the one-mile race with an impressive time of 4:21.20, while Jason Lyons '10 took second in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:47.93. Tom Robbins '11 participated in his first race in over six months after an injury during his cross country season, posting 1:54.10 in the 800-meter event.

"We were very pleased to have Tom make his return," Ford-Centonze said. "We expect great things from him at the Heps [Heptagonal] championship and he should be able to race at full speed until then."

Dartmouth's excellent performances in the men's running events were rounded out by victories in the 4x100-meter and 4x400-meter relays with times of 42.55 and 3:18.48.

Tyler Koskenoja '07 placed first in the men's javelin throw with a toss of 58.80 meters. He also participated in the discus, hurdles, and 4x400 relay in preparation for the decathlon event at the NCAA championship meet.

Derrick Vinklarek '08 placed second in the pole vault with a jump of 4.70 meters. Randy McKnight '08 took second in the triple jump with a leap of 14.64 meters.

Andrew Ching '10 and John Essington '09 went one-two in the high jump with marks of 1.94 and 1.84 meters, respectively.

David Irving '11 continued his strong start this season with a second place finish in the discus, tossing 47.00 meters.

The women's team was not quite as overpowering as the men on Saturday, but still had many noteworthy performances, including two individual wins and twenty top-five finishes.

Katie Suchow '08 ran third in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.87 seconds. Kaleigh Wood '11 took second place in the 400 meter at 59.52 seconds, while Victoria Michelotti '08 was fourth in the 100-meter high hurdles with a time of 15.01 seconds.

Caitlin Cunningham '09 won the 3000-meter race in 10:07.50. She was joined by Aryn Gruneisen '09, who took third with a time of 10:14.70.

Dartmouth continued its run of dominance in the women's field events on Saturday. Every throwing event featured at least one Big Green athlete in the top three.

Jaclyn Wypler '11 was third in the javelin throw with a heave of 38.40 meters. Jessica Long '08 won the hammer throw with a toss of 53.80 meters, followed by Emily Daly '09 in second with a throw of 53.26 meters.

Long also placed second in the discus with a launch of 42.92 meters. Tina Alexander '11 took fourth in that event by throwing 38.90 meters and also came in third in the shotput with a toss of 13.11 meters.

Absent from their usual events in the women's meet were Natalie Stoll '10 and Alex Tanner '11, both of whom put up remarkable times at last week's Princeton Invitational in the 400-meter dash and hurdles. Stoll suffered a minor hamstring pull early in the meet and Tanner strained a foot ligament. Both hope to be ready for the upcoming Penn Relays.

"We have several injured athletes on both teams who are actively engaged in cross-training," Ford-Centonze said. "As such, there is no concern about their fitness levels -- we are simply resting them so that they can recover for the important meets at the end of the season. While it is very pleasing to do well in team scoring, we will have to let the results fall where they will as our athletes recover."

Dartmouth's next meet will be at home this Saturday. The University of New Hampshire and the University of Vermont come to Hanover along with Tufts and Middlebury.