Editor's Note

Towards the beginning of March, The New York Times ran an article that introduced a new word to many Americans: Drunkorexia or "self-imposed starvation or bingeing and purging, combined with alcohol abuse" ("Starving Themselves, Cocktail in Hand," Mar. 2). Sound familiar?

Where do we draw the line at Dartmouth between staying healthy and staying skinny? These days, it's hard to step outside without seeing at least one jogger, and our gym is quite possibly the most consistently busy place on campus. That said, for a group who prioritizes their physical fitness, we certainly make space in our diets for plenty of alcohol. How do we try so hard to stay in shape while indulging and even pushing ourselves to drink to excess?

This week's Mirror takes a stab at examining the intersection of booze and our bodies. While any discussion of the way we eat and the way we drink is limited by the complexity and sensitivity of the subject -- imagine how difficult it is to get Dartmouth students to speak on the record about skipping dinner on Wednesday or pulling their trigger between pong games, two things that every Dartmouth student has at least thought about or done themselves -- this week's issue wasn't looking for any definitive answers.

Instead, we leave you with some thoughts about 2:10 a.m. EBA's buffalo chicken pizza, the caloric pros and cons of vodka shots, late night runs for mozz sticks and the realities of staying dry for sports.

Do with this issue what you will; it will probably just end up in the bottom of a Webster Avenue trashcan anyway.