Spotlight: Joe Braunreuther III '08

Joe Braunreuther III '08

Known to most as JB3, Joe discusses the promise of senior spring and the "impending doom crisis that is graduation," all in his "emerald green cape."

So what do you have planned for senior spring?

Swimming will be over, so hanging out a lot will be my number one priority. I'm also going to take a spinning P.E. class through FLIP, continue swimming three days a week with the team in the spring, take golf lessons ... and I'm planning on taking wine tasting classes through Collis Miniversity.

Does that leave time for classes?

Well, I'm taking two classes, which are undecided as of yet; I'm up in the air about a theatre dance choreography class, a Native American studies class and a CoCo class about alcohol and addiction. I'm also registered for a music class right now about global sounds.

That definitely sounds like a senior spring schedule.

I mean, I no longer feel like being intellectually stimulated on a daily basis for the next two months. Make sure you put that in, 'for the next two months,' so when my boss Googles me it doesn't just say that I'm tired of learning.

And how do your plans stack up to what other people make senior spring out to be?

Well a lot of my friends are not taking classes at all -- that's very common. People either take two classes or they take three and NRO one, and they're usually pretty easy.

So you're a varsity swimmer. What else do you do?

Yeah, I'm the co-captain this year. I'm also in Psi U, I'm a social chair. I used to own part of VOX sportswear but we sold it recently. And corporate recruiting dominated my life this fall.

But what about your future dance career?

Well, as for my dance career, I am undecided as of yet. I really enjoyed performing today [Monday, March 3] for my Theatre 27: Movement Fundamentals II final performance, even though I initially thought that I wouldn't like that part of the class. I'd definitely like to continue in some capacity, though, maybe take that class in the spring if I'm advanced enough for it.

Best class you've taken at Dartmouth?

The dance class is definitely up there but also some of my sophomore summer classes like The Geology of New England, where you go out into the forest and explore.

How about the best thing you've done and the best thing you've never done at Dartmouth?

Best thing I've never done would have to be applying for a croo for DOC trips. The best thing I've done was judge the Mr. and Mrs. Big Green competition and watch Dan Moore's interpretive dance of shoving marshmallows down his throat.

What's something you see at Dartmouth now that you thought you'd never see?

I feel like Dartmouth is more of a place where you see recurring things over and over again rather than new things. But definitely all the new dorm buildings and close to unlimited housings -- well, actually they're kicking seniors out now, but I remember my sophomore year they stuck all these people in that Lodge thing.

What are some Dartmouth-isms you've seen go in and out of fashion over the course of your College life?

The phrase "generic frat comment," the phrase "gyea" -- used like "gyea, gyea whatever" -- that one just ended, I'd say. The phrase "shiaa" in place of "shit" is going to be the next big thing.

Fashion trends?

For clothes I feel like guys wear sherpa-lined hoodies a lot more now [JB3 is currently sporting a sherpa-lined hoodie] and stoner hats [ditto]. Girls evolve over time and change from the preppy look freshman year, then get all urban and get a chic haircut and they think they're hot shiaa.

Any general observations from your perch as a senior?

There's this weird infatuation with seniors -- you notice people like you more as you get older. And when you're a senior you become less inhibited, more shameless. I'd say, the theme of '08 winter is bitterness and shamelessness.

Senior thoughts on Dartmouth students?

Dartmouth guys -- one of the best-looking breeds around. As for the girls, they're not half bad... No! Don't say that. I hope I'm not salting my game with that comment.

One last free shoutout.

I'm interested in completing the Dartmouth Seven with someone. Blitz "jb3."