ORL's new housing plan stirs SA debate

In response to recent changes in the College's eligibility standards for on-campus housing, Student Assembly pledged to explore other housing options with the Office of Residential Life and possibly create a database of available off-campus housing at Tuesday's Assembly meeting.

ORL announced last week that an additional 100 seniors will have to find off-campus housing beginning next fall. In addition, students from the Class of 2008 or earlier, along with fifth-year students in the Thayer B.E. program, will be ineligible to participate in room draw.

ORL's failure to incorporate student input into the new policy has disquieted some students.

"It represents a really huge disconnect because no students were contacted about it," Laura Little '08 said.

Student body President Travis Green '08 explained that the College's current policy to guarantee housing to all sophomores may have forced the College to make changes that affect seniors.

In addition, he said the housing crunch may be partially due to the College's decision in the 1980s to stop giving credit for all non-Dartmouth off-campus programs. It is still possible to get credit for a non-Dartmouth program, but "you need to jump through a bunch of hoops," Green said, causing more students to opt to remain on campus.

In reviewing what alternatives could be discussed with ORL, students suggested revising the off-campus credit and sophomore housing policies. Other possible solutions included delaying some of the dormitory renovations or making available temporary housing.

Several students supported holding a campus-wide survey to assess whether students would prefer to have guaranteed housing during their sophomore or senior year.

Students criticized ORL for "springing" the change on them. It often takes a year to find off-campus housing, several said, and seniors are faced with finding options in only six months.

Members also expressed concerns about the cost of living off campus. The expenses extend beyond rent, they said, and include furnishing and utility bills.

"You get a house with nothing in it, " Miesha Smith '09 said.

Additionally, students become ineligible for some scholarships if they do not live on campus.

Assembly members also said many off-campus residences available to students are not within walking distance of campus, so, in addition to the housing costs, students would need to find means of transportation.

In order to help students adjust to living off campus, Justin Varilek '11 suggested the Assembly create a database of available residences, as well as information about services and landlords.