GreenPrint malfunctions on Macs

Students rushing to print final papers are rolling the dice if they choose to print from a public Mac computer, as many terminals appear to be functional but cancel print jobs before they are sent to public printers.

On affected machines, the pop-up window that allows users to log in to the GreenPrint system does not appear. According to Computing Services representatives, this problem can result from a number of issues with a computer, and machines would have to be examined individually to determine the source of the malfunction.

John Nolan '10 has encountered the issue on many separate occasions, he said.

"It always seems to happen exactly at the worst time for it to happen, like when I printing a lab report right before lab," he said. "Then I have to run from person to person on first floor [of Berry Library] to find someone who will let me use their computer for GreenPrint."

Megan Roth '10 now tries to use a Windows computer to avoid the issue when possible, she said, after experiencing trouble accessing GreenPrint on a Mac computer.

Computing Services is responsible for performing maintenance on all public computers except for machines in the carpeted area of first floor of Berry Library, which are maintained by the library. Information on how to report malfunctioning computers is taped to all machines maintained by Computing Services and users are instructed to e-mail a description of the problem to the e-mail address provided. Computing Services is supposed to check this e-mail account daily, but recent complaints may have gone unchecked because of staff reorganization within the department, according to Manager of Consulting Services Ellen Young, whose division is responsible for coordinating maintenance of public machines.

"We're a little behind on things because we've had a change in staffing," Young said. The department assigns one staff member to monitor the troubleshooting e-mail account and fix any problems that are reported, but this position became vacant in December 2007 after the staff member was promoted internally. An additional employee was hired in February to fill the position.

Many students interviewed by The Dartmouth said they were unaware of the troubleshooting e-mail address and were not likely to seek assistance with a malfunctioning machine.

"I just try to find another computer," Nolan said.

Young said she would like to hire a student employee to perform a daily check of all public computers and identify any machines with problems, but has been unable to find a person interested in the job. Student Assembly, which used to oversee some of the public blitz terminals, previously employed two student workers in this capacity.

GreenPrint was intentionally not installed on the Blitz terminals originally purchased by the Assembly because the Assembly intended for students to use the computers only to check BlitzMail, Young said. Computing Services plans to replace 12 of these terminals by start of Spring term and will include GreenPrint on all new machines.