Daily Debriefing

The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education has launched a pilot program to quantify schools' sustainability initiatives, according to Inside Higher Ed. Over 90 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada have been selected to participate in the program, which will rate colleges based on inclusion of sustainability in class curiculae, research pertaining to sustainability and the implementation of sustainability initiatives in their operations. For example, colleges can earn points for buying locally-grown food products or obtaining green certification for buildings. AASHE plans to instate the official program by 2009, at which point all colleges will be able to participate. The data obtained in the final version of program will be public, but the pilot version data will not be published.

U.S. Marshals arrested high school dropout Esther Reed in Chicago on Sunday. Reed, who has been a fugitive for the past year, allegedly stole the identity of Brooke Henson, a South Carolina woman that went missing approximately eight years ago, and used Hensen's identity to take the SAT and GED tests. Reed subsequently applied to Harvard University and Columbia University. Officials at both universities told CNN.com that Brooke Henson enrolled at their institutions. Reed was originally reported missing by her family in 1999, around the time Henson disappeared. She grew up in Townsend, Montana and did poorly in high school. "Esther was the kind of kid who would have been invisible if you didn't take pains to notice her presence," Reed's former English teacher James Therriault said. Police believe Reed was not involved in Henson's disappearance.